Review of To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ben Filla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-filla.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Review of To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up

Post by Ben Filla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up" by Charles Wiley.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley is an autobiography of the author that portrays the life of a typical black child in America in the early 90s'.

Charles was born in 1962 in Cincinnati, Ohio. His father had never been there, and he never knew him. However, Swayne Wiley, Charles' father's brother, had been the father figure he always wanted. Charles grew up with the love of his mother and his older sisters. Life was going well until Charles learned that Swayne was not his father. This affected him mentally, and he ended up making a bad choice that almost took his life. What choices are these? 

To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up by Charles Wiley is a book I believe is needed for a generation like this one. This is a book needed to remind everyone, especially black Americans, of how life was back in the day. Interestingly, I enjoyed reading this book so much despite not being a fan of autobiographies or memoirs. It was written in first-person narrative, and the author is a brilliant writer. 

This is a work that made me realize the importance of a father figure in the lives of children. Fathers are seen as the backbone of a family, not just financially but also in influencing the lives of their children as they grow up. Children might dwell much on their mothers for emotional support or companionship, but I believe the father-child connection has to be deeper than this. This could be seen in the life of the author.

Also, I got to see how life was back then in America in the 70s and 80s. Racism and discrimination still abound then, and the author was once a victim of this. However, despite all these challenges, there were stories he narrated that showed that despite racism then, there were still some good white people who still had humanity at heart. The author would have lost his life if not for the intervention of a white girl.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I really enjoyed reading this book. I only found two errors, so I believe the book was professionally edited. Therefore, I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. I would recommend this book to people who love reading historical fiction or biographies. I would also recommend it to people who have gone through rough paths in life.

To God Be The Glory! We Must Never Give Up
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

Reading such stories makes you appreciate how people from disadvantaged backgrounds are breaking stereotypes by thriving in life.

Yes, the role of a father in a child's life is irreplaceable. Beautiful review.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

This book touches on societal topics like racism and discrimination. Both of which are topics that I'm quite intrested in. I'd love to read the book. Good review
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I like the book's title " To God Be The glory! We Must Never Give Up" the title says a lot even without reading the book. Like we do say in my neighborhood " Na Who give up f*ck up" so giving up isn't a choice. Wonderful review welldone!!!
Chukwuemeka Ezema
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chukwuemeka-ezema.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chukwuemeka Ezema »

This was a well-analyzed review. I agree with you, the father-child connection is really important for a child. Thanks for the review.
Mozi Ken
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mozi-ken.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Mozi Ken »

Story of a typical black child in Africa? Interesting! But I'm left to wonder why realizing that whom he thought was his father turned out not to be should affect him enough to make bad choices in life. Is that really an excuse? I guess I'll find out when I read the book. Good review.
Thompson Grace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thompson-grace.html
Latest Review: Give insomnia the finger by Dr Feel Good

Post by Thompson Grace »

In our world today it's so unfortunate that a lot of people neglect the importance of the father figure. I wish such kind of people would come across this book that would expose them to the danger of such awful ideology.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I love reading biographies. I can gain life lessons from other people's experiences. I wanted to know what choices Charles made, and how he overcome not ending his life. This is an intriguing book. Looking forward to reading this! Wonderful review!
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Black Africans in America have a wide story. Charles in this book is not an exemption. one way or the other, we all make wrong choices in life.I just hope Charles corrects his error .good review thanks
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

I love the fact that this book made you realize the importance of a father figure in the lives of children. And I agree with you that Fathers are seen as the backbone of a family, not just financially but also in influencing the lives of their children as they grow up. Father-chuld connection needs to be furled and developed.
Great review
Glory_C
Currently Reading: Keysha's Drama
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-c.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Glory_C »

This book elicits the importance of fatherhood to a child's upbringing. I love the fact that Charles didn't give up, despite the challenges faced. Well done for a great review!
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Autobiographies and biographies are not really my thing. They all seem the same with only few differences. Your review is written nicely and I appreciate your good work in recommending this book.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Goody book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goody-book.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Goody book »

Although I haven't read this book it looks nice from your review. I appreciate the effort you put unto your review, kudos.
Wamala Elijah Mul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliwamala.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Wamala Elijah Mul »

In the United States, people of African descent of African descent have a long and illustrious history. The character of Charles in the book is not an exception. Everyone, at some point in their lives, will make poor choices. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that Charles corrects his error. I am grateful to you for the detailed analysis.
1 Corinthians 3:16-17 Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?
17 If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

A father role in a child's life is extremely significant. I'm curious in the decisions Charles had to make. At least he had others to look out for him, such as his uncle, sister, and mother. In my perspective, Charles was selfish, but I believe I need to read this book to be able to evaluate properly.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”