Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Review of Surviving the Business of Healthcare

Post by Not available anymore »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Surviving the Business of Healthcare" by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What happens when you write a book about how to empower people in the healthcare business and navigate the healthcare business, only to be diagnosed with cancer as you are finishing the last chapter? Despite being a primary care provider? That was the case with the author of this book, Barbara Galutia Regis. Surviving the Business of Healthcare has 29 chapters.

Barbara Galutia Regis was diagnosed with amelanotic nodular melanoma, a rare form of melanoma, and the transition from being the healthcare provider to being the patient was a rough one for her, especially at a time when her new clinic was booming. Although she was a physician assistant, she found out about her cancer a bit late, but thankfully it wasn't so deadly and she got surgeries and treatments. The author is from a three-generation family of family practice physicians. Though medicine was in her genes, she didn't immediately start as a primary healthcare provider; she had a successful teaching career as a musician. What led to her transition from music to healthcare? Did she regret this decision? Read this book to find out more about the author.

Though the author had to beat herself up a bit for not finding out earlier, I like how she came out of that phase and saw herself as a fighter and how she saw the setbacks as motivation to help others get the best care possible. I love how her goal for this book is to genuinely empower and provide information for better healthcare and on how people can prepare for the unexpected. In addition to giving out values in this book, I love how she included information about her background and upbringing. I love how supportive her mother is of her father's work and how she helped him as a bookkeeper. Their regular vacations and rituals kept them anchored as a family, no matter how busy her father was. This opened my eyes to the fact that, once we have a family, we must create time and enjoy it with our loved ones, no matter how busy we are or how stressful our work might get.

The author genuinely loves her job, and you can feel it in her writing; she talks about it many times in the book, and I love how she prides herself in her job. She truly loves her calling as a primary care provider. I love how she included pictures at the end of the book, and I like how she included information about the legal aspects of healthcare. The author's writing style is amazing; she draws you in page by page. My favorite part of every chapter is the book's section called "A glimpse into our not-so-sleepy town."

There's nothing I dislike about this book; I like how the author went straight to the point in each chapter and didn't make the chapters too long and boring. I rate it five out of five stars because the book was exceptionally well-edited, very helpful, and informative. While reading it, I found no errors.

I recommend it to health practitioners, everyone in the health sector, people curious about the business side of health care, and people working towards becoming health professionals.

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

It is absolutely normal to want to beat one's self up after making a mistake I like how she came out of that phase and saw herself as a fighter and how she saw the setbacks as motivation to help others get the best care possible. And her goal for this book is so genuinely inspiring I love how her goal for this book is to genuinely empower and provide information for better healthcare and on how people can prepare for the unexpected. This is a great book
Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonobe-chioma-chukwuma.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick

Post by Okonobe Chioma Chukwuma »

This book is informative and educative.thanks for the review .
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

This book has helped me understand how to run a business in health care, I love how the author develops each of the characters in this book. I will recommend this book to all individuals for better knowledge. Good job.
Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-egenti-ignatius-chimaobi.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Egenti Ignatius Chimaobi »

This review helped me appreciate the thought and insight the author employed in this book. I loved how this book was dedicated to healthcare, one of the main issues adversely affecting humanity. Great Job
Treasure Elendu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treasure-elendu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Treasure Elendu »

Going from treating people to being treated can be a tough pill to swallow. Your review sounds interesting and the storyline seems amazing. Nice review
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

Books like this that present their importance and are detailed enough to help the readers learn from them are to be held with high regards.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

This book is a guide for patients who intend to manage the finance of their health care. It would not only be useful to health practitioners but to patients and those in need of self-care for their health.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Ben Filla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-filla.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Post by Ben Filla »

The Healthcare business is a very lucrative one and it's a business that is needed, irrespective of location. So, the such a businesses should survive by all means.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Healthcare is really an important aspect. From music to doc to patient, the transition will be an experience to read. I like that the author gives importance to spending time with family. Thank you for the clear review Covenant Morolayo Olusegun!
Famzi Ken
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-famzi-ken.html
Latest Review: My Pound of Flesh by William Thielman

Post by Famzi Ken »

This sounds like an inspiring book about a life of a doctor diagnosed with cancer. The author also seems to be dedicated to healthcare. I guess I'll learn a lot from this book. Great review.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

Sounds like something I would love to read. Based on your review, it sounds inspiring and no doubt it will be very inspiring and educating. Thanks for being honest in your review.
Anna_1203
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-1203.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Anna_1203 »

The author has an intriguing and unexpected life. Her career choice and life as a patient are also interesting. Thank you for your nice review.
R_becca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by R_becca »

This sounds like an inspiring book about the life of a cancer-stricken doctor. The author also appears to be passionate about healthcare. The transition from music to being a doctor to a patient will be an experience to read about. I enjoy how the author emphasizes the value of spending time with family.
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Anna_1203 wrote: 25 Nov 2022, 11:44 The author has an intriguing and unexpected life. Her career choice and life as a patient are also interesting. Thank you for your nice review.
Thank you so much for your comments Anna! :D I agree that her career choice is interesting

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”