Review of McDowell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melissa Best
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: Love and Marriage
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-best.html
Latest Review: Chameleons by Martin Wyatt

Review of McDowell

Post by Melissa Best »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

William H. Coles’ writing in his novel McDowell drags readers through the messy realities of life and the depths of the human heart. Beginning on the arduous climb that is Mount Everest, Hiram McDowell is introduced as a hiker who, during a snowstorm, leaves his climbing partner to die. McDowell’s family is next to enter the picture: his third wife, her children from another marriage, his daughter from his first wife, and his two other children from his second wife. It is immediately apparent they are in a loveless marriage of convenience. So much so that he can’t even be bothered to come home for his wife’s birthday. As the story continues, readers follow the grossly ambitious surgeon as he steers his career toward an inevitable leadership role. At least, that’s what the reader first believes.

Following Hiram’s journey, it is clear his intentions throughout most of his life have been purely selfish. Aside from an interest in music, his career comes above all else, and the only people who can trust him are directly blood-related. Faced with a series of challenges that few would wish upon their worst enemies, he must relinquish his self-absorbed ways. As he comes to know strangers through his travels, Hiram will attempt to develop a sense of empathy and respect for others.

McDowell is a complex book; readers must follow the storylines of McDowell himself, his three children, and other supporting characters that appear later on. This is a bit difficult, but not an impossible feat. There is enough information to keep readers engaged without losing them. Being so charitable with time on the page, Coles’ opportunities to develop the characters are widespread. Almost all the characters show growth by the end, whether it be a change of situation, thoughts, or overall personality. This character development, leveraged with the frequent shifts in plot focus, creates a truly immersive and emotional experience.

At times, the story takes a sudden jump, and an event will happen that the reader isn’t allowed to witness. Instead, it is described in a few sentences before the book continues to detail the aftermath. I found this jarring and, at times, questioned if I’d skipped a page; however, I recognize that this may have been a stylistic or word-saving choice by Coles. Also, from what I found while reading, there were only a handful of syntax errors leading me to believe this book is well edited.

McDowell is an exhilarating read. From the first chapter, it had my full attention and never lost momentum. If anything, I was more inclined to keep reading in the second half than in the first. Coles has written an undoubtedly unique story that stretches from high-brow charity balls to the life of the homeless population. Because of the grip this novel had on my attention, and the creativity poured into the characters, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The minor grievances I have with it are vastly outweighed by the riveting storyline. I would give it more stars if they were available.

This novel contains taboo sexual scenes and extreme violence. I only recommend this book is read by mature audiences.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

The themes of morality and ethical responsibility are explored in a nuanced and thought-provoking way.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”