Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters is an adventurous book by Michelle Cummings. Michelle Cummings is a young woman who grew up on a farm in Norton, Kansas, and currently lives in Littleton, Colorado, with her husband and two sons. She is a bachelor's degree holder in psychology and a master's degree holder in experimental education. Michelle became interested in fishing after taking her first fishing class and chose to write this book, The Reel Sisters. In addition to encouraging more women to take up fly fishing, she hopes this book will give readers the chance to venture outside their comfort zones and discover new things about themselves.

This book, The Reel Sisters, by Michelle Cummings, consists of 411 pages and has ten sections. The story is told from the perspectives of five women: Rose, Sophie, Amanda, Veronica, and Melody, all of whom had an affinity for fly fishing. Rose, the oldest and most experienced in fly fishing after fishing since childhood, educates the other ladies and gives them life advice. The crew's batman and seasoned fly fisher, Sophie, brought each of the ladies together, but she couldn't rebuild her love life after losing her heart. Veronica is a city girl who loves to hang out with her friends but also travels the nation to help empower other women on how to become more successful. To combat the worry caused by her husband's deployment to Afghanistan, Amanda, a mother of two, developed a passion for fly fishing. Then there was Melody, the group's youngest member. She is an avid photographer who subsequently joined the first four females after being rescued by them. These five ladies set aside their differences and were able to become close friends. To learn more about how they met and how they were able to fly fish together, give the book a try and find out.

I enjoyed every part of this book, from the writing style to the storyline. I admire the author's precise writing style and the precision with which each section begins. I also love how, without confusing the readers, Michelle Cummings could switch each character's perspective by introducing them before their storylines begin. I don't know whether it's just me, but this novel has a similar feel to Man mission by Eytan Uliel and Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas, but more Kalayla-like. Nonetheless, I learned that having good friends on whom you can depend and feel free to speak about your burdens does come in handy.

Unfortunately, although this book was an intriguing read, it has some errors. Four times, the spelling of the same word was wrong. The sad thing about these errors is that they could have been avoided with proper editing. Aside from those errors, I found nothing negative about this professionally edited book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although these errors were unnecessary, three out of the four of them appeared on a single page, showing how poorly that page was edited. Nevertheless, they didn't hinder my understanding of the book. Therefore, it merits the rating that it received. If the errors are corrected, there is no reason the book shouldn't get a perfect rating.

I highly recommend this book to those who find adventure books fascinating and those looking to understand what true friendship is all about. I also recommend this book to women on a journey to self-discovery.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow, what a captivating book. This book display love and unity. Saving the little girl from death is one of the things I love so much. Great review.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

The Reel Sisters is a story about four women that found friendship in fly fishing. The book has great themes that will impart knowledge to readers. Nice review.
Ruth Omonegho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-omonegho.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ruth Omonegho »

This book discusses a topic that should be talked about more often— friendship. I also appreciate the author's unique style while bringing out this theme.
Christabel Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-benson.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Christabel Benson »

This book is captivating. I like how the author wrote this book this book has made me understand what true friendship is all about nice review.
Janet Kimetto
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-kimetto.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Janet Kimetto »

I enjoyed reading this book as well. It is a beautiful bond the five women share, and I thought the lessons on fly fishing were great. Thank you for your great review!
“Be wary. Be clever. Be good.”
Precious Oba
Currently Reading: Bluewater walkabout into Africa
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-oba.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Precious Oba »

It sounds like a fine book. The theme of flourishing friendship between women of varying ages and professions is so well incorporated into the plot.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”