Review of Madam Vice President

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shecky Acker
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shecky-acker.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Madam Vice President

Post by Shecky Acker »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Madam Vice President" by Julian Mann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Madam Vice President is a novel by Julian Mann about a female lead named Victoria Pierce. Victoria originates from a farm in Oklahoma where she was sheltered by the daily grind of farm work. When she becomes of legal age, Victoria runs away to San Francisco and enlists in the United States Marine Corps where she climbs her way up to the rank of Brigadier General. During her service, she meets one Senator Sam Eagan and starts a long-lasting love affair. Sam eventually runs for President of the United States and asks Victoria to be his military advisor. During the campaign, Victoria befriends Grace Brandon, a journalist for the New York Times. The spotlight is quickly shown onto Victoria as Grace begins digging into Victoria's past. As can be said by anyone in politics, no one has a clean past. Will Victoria’s past harm her partner and jeopardize both their futures, or can Victoria stride into the next chapter of her life worry free?

I liked how it would state at the beginning of the chapters which year it was, 1980 or 2008. When it states the year in the chapter title it is easier for me to follow along with the story line. I also really enjoyed being able to learn about American politics in a story form. The characters were developed well and the pace of the novel for the most part was steady throughout which kept my attention.

I did not enjoy the last few chapters of Madam Vice President as the story began to drag on. It could have ended after the election. But there were still a few chapters to go. At first, I did not want to keep reading these chapters but they turned out to be an important part. These chapters are not as riveting as the rest of the story but they help conclude the story nicely.

I gave this story a 4 out of 4 as the ending of the book was still an integral part of the story and it needed to be written. I believe most people would enjoy this part. I was just stuck on the fact that I did not believe Victoria would become vice president. And after the election, it answered all my story questions and I felt like I could put the book down. I was not stuck on finding out if Grace was able to get her suspicions out. I was stuck on the fact that a woman could become vice president because the majority of the story was captivating until the last few remaining chapters.

This book is aimed at the suspense reader who finds intrigue dealing with American politics. How the campaign is a huge part of getting votes and getting your name out there for the country to learn who you are. This story allows you to learn about politics in the United States and enjoy a good fictional story along the way with some unexpected twists and turns.

Madam Vice President
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”