Review of Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Review of Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by Tonia Freeman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Snoopy Cat, by R. F. Kristi, is the fifth book in a series about Inca, a witty and curious Siberian cat, and her fuzzy family and friends. In this latest book, Inca decides it’s time to set out on her own and solve a new mystery. Inca’s regular detective friends must quickly jet off to Europe in pursuit of a missing friend and couldn’t help a neighborhood dog who has exhausted all options for help. Inca leads her close-knit group of funny, tenacious, and highly entertaining felines on a new adventure while keeping her sights set on the prize of becoming a world-famous detective. Along the way, she realizes she can rely on her friends and uses some quick on her paws thinking. After some valuable life lessons, Inca becomes the plucky detective that she aspires to be.

There were many positives to this adorable children’s book. I loved the personalities that Kristi brought to the colorful cast. My favorite fuzzy character is Fromage, the orange tabby cat that serves as comic relief and goofball, but like a true buddy, he pulls it together when Inca needs him. I also appreciated that the lead detective, Inca, was a female in a traditionally masculine profession. It’s a plus to see children’s books break stereotypes and give little girls contemporary ideas about what they can grow up to be. I found Diary of a Snoopy Cat to be a pleasant read, even for an adult, that's not always the case for children’s books. The cherry on top of this story was the delightful illustrations, beautifully drawn to capture a child’s attention and keep the reader engaged with the story.

I quickly grew fond of these cute fuzzy investigators but was disappointed to discover some of them engaged in bullying, in a children’s book of all places. As both a reader and a parent, it saddened me to see such behavior included in this book. I realize that the object of their jeering was the antagonist; however, calling him names like “fatso”, “smelly” and “porkster” certainly didn’t add anything to the story. Not to mention, it sets a terrible example for young kids. Additionally, I was irritated by a character’s remark about disappearing when women become emotional. I find this comment unnecessary and I’m appalled that these types of stereotypes are even still being enforced in current literature for children. I doubt they would make such a comment regarding a male character. This is yet another example of behavior that children don’t need.

Notwithstanding the negatives, the book does have a fair number of positives. I adore cats and like a good private detective novel. The book did manage to capture my interest; therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I did note a few errors in the book, but they didn’t distract from the story overall.

I would recommend this book as a parent-lead read for adolescent children under nine. If read together, the parents could counterbalance and discuss some of the negative issues I found in the book. It’s possible they could indeed utilize them as teachable moments and translate them into practical life lessons. I think any adult or child over 10 that likes animal charters and a darling mystery would enjoy this easy read. I would suggest avoiding the book if you’re bothered by bullying or don’t enjoy nonhuman characters.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

As a teacher, I love children's literature. Kids love animal characters that talk, as well as, an interesting mystery to solve. I applaud your idea about using the negative points in your review as teachable moments, showing examples of what not to do. I just love Inca the private detective and am glad that this is a series for children. Thank you for the great summary and for your honest opinions of the book.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I quickly grew fond of these cute fuzzy investigators but was disappointed to discover some of them engaged in bullying, in a children’s book of all places. As both a reader and a parent, it saddened me to see such behavior included in this book. I realize that the object of their jeering was the antagonist; however, calling him names like “fatso”, “smelly” and “porkster” certainly didn’t add anything to the story. Not to mention, it sets a terrible example for young kids. Additionally, I was irritated by a character’s remark about disappearing when women become emotional. I find this comment unnecessary and I’m appalled that these types of stereotypes are even still being enforced in current literature for children. I doubt they would make such a comment regarding a male character. This is yet another example of behavior that children don’t need.
Wow, that's so sad. This book has so many positive aspects! It's a pity that they're overshadowed by this. I like the idea of kids learning about different cultures, and of strong female role models, but I don't know if I would give my nieces a book that teaches that this is an appropriate reaction. I hope the author takes your comment into consideration.
Thank you for your honest review!
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I read another book in this series and also noticed a few derogatory inferences. It is so important for children's books today to avoid this kind of content.

Thank you for your thorough and honest review. :cat:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

Kristi is such a talented writer. She knows how to use words tactically, bearing in mind the audience she is writing for.

Nice review! I enjoyed reading this review.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Maria Andrea Fernandez wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 18:34
Wow, that's so sad. This book has so many positive aspects! It's a pity that they're overshadowed by this. I like the idea of kids learning about different cultures, and of strong female role models, but I don't know if I would give my nieces a book that teaches that this is an appropriate reaction. I hope the author takes your comment into consideration.
Thank you for your honest review!
Thank you Maria! I agree it was concerning for sure. Thank you for reading my review and commenting.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP

Post by Tonia Freeman »

MsH2k wrote: 30 Aug 2022, 19:25 I read another book in this series and also noticed a few derogatory inferences. It is so important for children's books today to avoid this kind of content.

Thank you for your thorough and honest review. :cat:
Wow, I’m really surprised that is a theme in the series. That’s really too bad. There are a lot of positives to the book if that wasn’t included.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I remember reading this book and I disliked Inca's impolite comments too. Nevertheless, the animal characters were lovely and fun to follow :) Also, the book teaches kids to take care of their pets properly which I appreciated. Thank you very much for this honest review!
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Ellylion wrote: 31 Aug 2022, 15:35 I remember reading this book and I disliked Inca's impolite comments too. Nevertheless, the animal characters were lovely and fun to follow :) Also, the book teaches kids to take care of their pets properly which I appreciated. Thank you very much for this honest review!
Thank you for your kind words. I agree that with just a little tweaking this would be truly wonderful.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 84381
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1196%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Can one cat detective keep off vampire off the guest Inca Siberian kitty
Leonie Vermaak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leonie-vermaak.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Leonie Vermaak »

I'm intrigued and just have to read this book!! I'm just sorry about the bullying part and the name calling, this is something that is close to my heart, especially since this behavior is increasing in schools these days. It was bad enough when I was a child.
Thanks for an indepth and interesting review!! Well done😉
Christell Lindeque
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christell-lindeque.html
Latest Review: Field Guide to Sinisters and Benevolents by Nancy L Vallette

Post by Christell Lindeque »

This was a great review. I also enjoy this series and fell in love with the characters. I do not like that this book has name calling in it though.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Leonie Vermaak wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 13:03 I'm intrigued and just have to read this book!! I'm just sorry about the bullying part and the name calling, this is something that is close to my heart, especially since this behavior is increasing in schools these days. It was bad enough when I was a child.
Thanks for an indepth and interesting review!! Well done😉
Yes close to mine as well, my daughter's middle school years have been very hard for her in this area. Thanks for reading my review.
Stephanie Runyon
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Deadly Sexy Lizzy Vol. 1-3 by Michael Richey
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

This sounds like it would be a great book minus the bullying aspect you mentioned. Great job on the review!
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP

Post by Tonia Freeman »

Aww, thank you so much!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”