Review of Eating Bull

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Eating Bull

Post by Laney K »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin follows an obese teenager named Jeremy. Jeremy struggles with his appetite and is seemingly under the control of food; he can not stop thinking about food. Jeremy goes to a weight loss clinic and meets Sue. Sue wants Jeremy to team up with her to sue the food industry for its part in the obesity problem. Sue claims that companies manufacture food in a way that causes people to crave more. She wants Jeremy to help be the sympathetic face in her lawsuit. As this goes on, a serial killer, Darwin, is on the loose. Darwin targets overweight individuals. He is driven by a compulsive voice in his head.

The book follows Jeremy, Sue, and Darwin to tell the narrative. Each of these characters has a unique take on the world. My favorite part of the book was seeing how each character viewed the world. Darwin and his compulsions were brought to life in this narrative style. I was able to see Jeremy struggle as he dealt with his weight, a mean grandfather, and bullies at school who made him miserable. However, my favorite was being able to learn about the passions that drove Sue. She was a character that felt she had a duty to fight for others and use her voice. I enjoyed watching her move the lawsuit forward despite the pushback.

There was nothing I disliked about this book. I was engaged the entire time I was reading it. The plot moved along quickly as the lawsuit developed and Darwin's number of kills increased. I also did not spot any grammatical issues; it was exceptionally well edited.

I am happy to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book was fun to read. Seeing how the different characters faced the pressure of the lawsuit was interesting. It was also interesting to see how Sue worked to convince the others that suing was the right move in the first place.

I think that readers of crime novels would enjoy this book. This book is not suitable for younger audiences due to the vulgar language used. There are also depictions of violence, mentions of sexual violence, and Jeremy deals with fat-shaming. If any of those topics are sensitive to you, this is not the book for you. However, if not, this book will delight lovers of crime as they learn how all the pieces of the book fit together.

Eating Bull
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

Interesting!!! The book plot is very captivating, a serial killer controlled by an inner voice to kill obese people. Quite thrilling!!! Wonderful review welldone.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 05:42 Interesting!!! The book plot is very captivating, a serial killer controlled by an inner voice to kill obese people. Quite thrilling!!! Wonderful review welldone.
It definitely is a very thrilling book. I found it quite hard to put down at times! Thank you for checking out my review!
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Quite thrilling. Although I don't really understand why they'd want to sue food companies for an act that is not forced on them, I would still want to see how this story unravels. Great review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

This is an interesting plot and am sure the book has a lot to offer. Am going to add it to my bracket list and read it later. Thanks for your honest review.
Poetic Justice
Riya Sarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riya-sarkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Riya Sarkar »

Unfortunately, I have not read many books which throw light on characters who struggle with obesity. So, I was intrigued from the very first sentence and then I saw that a serial killer is involved! It's like the author is full of wonderful ideas! Thank you for your review. I'll definitely be picking up this book.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

This book looks like an important read for today's society. I love the title. It is catchy, just like the book cover. Great job.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

It's good to read about someone that's trying to loose his weight amidst what people around him are saying. And I like the role Sue played in Jeremy's life.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Ahmed Egyption
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ahmed Egyption »

Unfortunately, I have not read many books which throw light on characters who struggle with obesity. So, I was intrigued from the very first sentence and then I saw that a serial killer is involved! It's like the author is full of wonderful ideas! Thank you for your review. I'll definitely be picking up this book.This is an interesting plot and am sure the book has a lot to offer. Am going to add it to my bracket list and read it later. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”