Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Fatally Blessed by Francie Phillips
2022 Reading Goal: 120
2022 Goal Completion: 41%

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“In the Lands of the Princes, it was death by the sword or a slow starvation.” The statement by Galen Bray best describes the situation in his homeland. When an opportunity knocked for him to move to a different world and take over his uncle’s estate, he readily welcomed it. Galen meets his uncle’s executor Rowan in an inn after many days at sea. It had taken Rowan six months of evading danger to find him, but he had eventually arrived at Onita Steel in Magnum Caelum. Within Voulhire, a country that is supposed to be filled with the ordinary, others possess supernatural abilities. The wind of change is blowing, and much is yet to transpire.

Midius Maido is the High Chancellor of the Mianoran Council. What is the source of his power, and how influential is he? We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies, a fantasy book, was authored by Matthew Tysz. The story demonstrates how expensive hope can be and what it means for one to finally find an opportunity to achieve something meaningful. The narration is from the first point of view of Galen Bray and the third person, too.

The best story always introduces the reader to a new setting and characters and leaves them feeling they have known them all their life. Matthew surpasses this standard, ensuring the reader understands the underlying conditions in Voulhire and knows the characters and their inner motivations. I enjoyed following Galen and seeing how external forces beyond one’s control always bring unexpected changes. Additionally, the story comprises twists that change the trajectory of the story, resulting in a surprising, satisfying ending.

Just as entertaining as it is, the book also raises issues worth cogitating on. What does unification mean? How much is required for nationalism to be achieved? How far is too far, and what happens to dissenting voices? Through such revelations, the author manages to change one’s perception entirely concerning some characters; the boundary between good and bad is blurred. If you like stories with a hint of satire that provoke your thoughts, you would not want to miss reading this one.

I rate We Are Voulhire: A New Arrival Under Great Skies 4 out of 4 stars. I disliked nothing about the book. The fact that I found it hard to put the book down once I started reading it proves that it is gripping. It will appeal most to fans of fantasy; anyone above the age of fifteen can read it.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: Wish You Were Here
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

While your review is quite intriguing and detailed enough for a reader to know what to expect, I'll have to pass on this one. Fantasy is one genre I have a tough time reading. But I do like the hint of satire that the book has and maybe that may persuade me to read it some day.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Dark Matter
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I have read the book and it's indeed entertaining with some riveting and thought-provoking themes. While I'm not a huge fan of fantasy, I still ended up enjoying the writing and the characterization. Thank you for the detailed analysis.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Francine Rivers
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Life Through Poetry and Art Revisited
Bookshelf Size: 7730
fav_author_id: 6456
2022 Reading Goal: 1000
2022 Goal Completion: 771%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

A fantasy novel set in a different country based around a country called vouihire a King saw his four sons turning on one another in an attempt to earn the right to the throne at the same time he believes they may be plotting to overthrow him I like the character development which was done perfect and the story line was awesome from the introduction, the book was full of action and thriller which makes any fictional book reader glued to the book.i will recommend it 💯
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: For Love of Art and Ericka by William P Truesdell

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I have already read this book. wish that there weren't as many points of view and subplots. It makes for an overwhelming introduction to the series. There is also a mix of using modern and medieval languages. It is a confusing book to read.
But I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Waheart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waheart.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II

Post by Waheart »

I have not read the book yet but I am now more interested to read it. Having the first two reviews very convincing at how the themes are thought-provoking and the last one a bit confusing on whether I will really enjoy the book has me convinced its a book I should really and understand their views.Great reviews.
Knitkat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knitkat.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Knitkat »

The theme of nationalism is always an interesting one and pairs well with the idea of opposition. This seems like an interesting book
Mosele 19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mosele-19.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Mosele 19 »

My interest is been drawn by the theme of nationalism . I'll definitely give this book a try. Nice review.
John Arun Kumar
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-arun-kumar.html
Latest Review: Sophistries of Summer Days by Jenny Lofters

Post by John Arun Kumar »

This fantasy fiction seems riveting. Satire that provokes your thoughts is interesting indeed. A well written book review. Congratulations on the BOTD!
María Andrea Fernández
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Gray Hunter
Bookshelf Size: 2273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 5604
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 83%

Post by María Andrea Fernández »

The story demonstrates how expensive hope can be and what it means for one to finally find an opportunity to achieve something meaningful.
That's a thinker. And something we can all relate to.
The best story always introduces the reader to a new setting and characters and leaves them feeling they have known them all their life. Matthew surpasses this standard, ensuring the reader understands the underlying conditions in Voulhire and knows the characters and their inner motivations.
You are completely right. And I especially applaud it in a fantasy book, because fantasy writers often overlook character development in favor of world-building.
Just as entertaining as it is, the book also raises issues worth cogitating on. What does unification mean? How much is required for nationalism to be achieved? How far is too far, and what happens to dissenting voices? Through such revelations, the author manages to change one’s perception entirely concerning some characters; the boundary between good and bad is blurred. If you like stories with a hint of satire that provoke your thoughts, you would not want to miss reading this one.
Those are very interesting topics to ponder. I love it when fantasy books raise questions that can be easily applied to our life on Earth.

Fantastic review!
Chelsy Scherba
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 752
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds like it has a very expansive world and great characters. I especially like that it is philosophical. I’ll check it out!
Pandora10
Favorite Book: Remembering Christmas
Currently Reading: Collits' Inn: Uncovering the Past
Bookshelf Size: 107
2022 Reading Goal: 30
2022 Goal Completion: 123%

Post by Pandora10 »

I am not a great fan of fantasy novels, but I can appreciate that this author has created a magical world that fans of this genre will enjoy. The narrative is very descriptive and I expect the hint of satire within the text will appeal to many such readers. Thanks for a good review on this book.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293

Post by Tars »

I got this book by chance way back and even though it certainly wasn't what I was anticipating after reading the description I surprisingly was able to enjoy it enormously, anyway. I couldn't rest until I was able to read the whole series and ended up as huge fan of it!
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Nothing short of despicable. A very exciting read for every fan of adventure books. I was elated while reading this review. Great review.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
TusharJoshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tusharjoshi.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by TusharJoshi »

Compelling world-building and captivating characters. Great job by the author!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”