Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Review of Killing Abel

Post by Edit_or »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I was hesitant to pick this book because I believe historical fiction is monotonous, but that thought vanished while reading as I discovered its creative and intriguing aspects.
This novel by M. Tieman , Killing Abel, is based on the book of Genesis in the Bible. It spans the time period from Adam and Eve to Noah and the Ark. You may have wondered how the earth got populated with just Adam and Eve. Why did Cain kill Abel? What happened after Abel’s death? What happened following the flood? How did the events unfold? And there are so many more questions. All of these are addressed by the author in a logical and imaginative manner.

Because it’s unique and fascinating, this fiction keeps your attention from beginning to end. My favorite part had to be when Lamech and his soldiers desperately sought a mate for the giant in order to breed more giants, which made me consider the extremes of carrying out an evil intention. M. Tieman’s writing style was excellent. It’s understandable, with a well-thought-out story flow. I also appreciated the Bible references inserted at regular intervals to justify the plot, which piqued my interest in furthering my Bible study; this was the most valuable benefit to me. 
Finally, I learned some important lessons, such as the consequences of disobedience, the importance of learning from our mistakes, and the effect of morals and values handed down to our children, among many others.

Although I enjoyed this book, my only complaint was that it was a little slow. Also, I didn’t like how the book portrayed God as having limited power and capability. On page 40, for example, the writer says, "God himself could not change the nature of love." I just hope that people with less knowledge of God do not believe this.

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because the author skipped over some events in the narration and hopped to a completely different set of events. This was a turn-off for me, but I got over it and continued reading though.

This is a fantastic and awesome story that provides both entertainment and Bible history. By the end of this book, you’ll have a better understanding of the majority of Genesis chapters. People who enjoy biblical stories will enjoy Killing Abel. I would also recommend it to those who can tell the difference between fiction and history.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

On the other hand, historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. I loved reading this book because I like how the author incorporated fiction into biblical events. Your review was also well detailed.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

From the book I was able to understand the world began. Some information in this book is not found in the Bible. Great review.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

I was hesitant to pick this book because I believe historical fiction is monotonous, but that thought vanished while reading as I discovered its creative and intriguing aspects.
You did well to challenge your preconceptions about historical fiction Edit_or. Thank you for explaining the story and explaining your opinion of it. I enjoyed reading your great review.
The Nabongos Duchess
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-nabongos-duchess.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by The Nabongos Duchess »

Thanks for the review.It's a great book for me and others who fear reading the voluminous Bible for we can read and understand the book of Genesis done in a different version.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think fictionalized accounts of things not specifically stated in the Bible are fine. After all, God gave us imagination.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

This book is too controversial for my liking and I agree with your concerns. Frankly speaking, I didn't really like it. I too noticed that the narrative drags. Thank you for this honest review!
Edit_or
Currently Reading:

Post by Edit_or »

Ellylion wrote: 04 Aug 2022, 06:37 This book is too controversial for my liking and I agree with your concerns. Frankly speaking, I didn't really like it. I too noticed that the narrative drags. Thank you for this honest review!
I appreciate your honest comment! Thank you so much.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:

Post by Edit_or »

Amy Luman wrote: 02 Aug 2022, 07:04 I think fictionalized accounts of things not specifically stated in the Bible are fine. After all, God gave us imagination.
Exactly my point! Thanks for reading and commenting.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:

Post by Edit_or »

Mrs D O wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 07:09
You did well to challenge your preconceptions about historical fiction Edit_or. Thank you for explaining the story and explaining your opinion of it. I enjoyed reading your great review.
I’m glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for passing by.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:

Post by Edit_or »

Jelly_J wrote: 23 Jul 2022, 00:28 On the other hand, historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. I loved reading this book because I like how the author incorporated fiction into biblical events. Your review was also well detailed.
I appreciate the comment! Thank you dear.
Boo_loves_books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boo-loves-books.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Boo_loves_books »

I found it really interesting that the author used a fictional narrative to re-interpret biblical events and fill in some of the gaps. However, judging from your review, there is a bit of danger in this because it could possibly misrepresent the nature of God.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”