Review of Wolf Hunter Inquisition

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victoria_Wright
Currently Reading: The Pirate's Deal
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-wright.html
Latest Review: Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird by Jimmie Martinez

Review of Wolf Hunter Inquisition

Post by Victoria_Wright »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Wolf Hunter Inquisition" by Miller Thomas.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Danny Roberts has been dreaming of purging his city of all who take advantage of good people. In his journey to capture a new serial killer, he wakes up with an unquenchable thirst and is shoved into a world he never knew existed before today. Vampires are real, and he's one of them. Wolf Hunter Inquisition: The Freeing of Chiropteran follows our hero as he learns to navigate this secret, new world that has existed right outside of society since the beginning of time. Some wolves prey on the defenseless, and the vampires are the shepherds tending to their flock. Danny must choose whether to follow his new master and continue to make a difference, or fall prey to these instincts pushing him to kill.

Miller Thomas, the author of Wolf Hunter Inquisition, does a wonderful job building up each character as they are introduced to Danny and the reader. Danny is a fledgling, stumbling as he learns to walk with Mistress through this new society. With rules as old as time, we discover alongside him as each surprising encounter reveals how true rumors may be of a secret society running everything behind the scenes. The world is a dark place, but Danny's quick wit and dark humor break up what would be tense moments for all of us. I laughed out loud multiple times during his misadventures.

I enjoyed reading this story. The main issue was how convenient many of the skills and "powers" vampires in this book seem to have. The sky is the limit, and the only actual limit is what you can imagine. People can shapeshift, change their faces, spit fire, fly, and more. It sounds a lot like the original superhero comics before writers started defining limits. In attempting to stay outside the classic vampire legends, Thomas seems to have created a limitless reality.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. There were a few inconsistencies and convenient scenes that solidified that 3 for me, but the story was entertaining enough that I didn't mind. Overall, this story is well written and a fun read!

I would recommend this book to those of us that think some of the vampire tropes are a little played out. This book works hard to step outside of the classic box of plain wooden stakes, allergy to garlic, and sensitivity to sunlight. Danny is a likeable detective, just trying to make a difference in his world. If you like chaotic good main characters, this is a good choice for you.

Wolf Hunter Inquisition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”