Review of Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosa Joy
Currently Reading: Brutal Valor
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosa-joy.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Review of Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream

Post by Rosa Joy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream" by Dr Frank L Douglas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every human has notable events that have shaped their life. In Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream, Dr. Frank L. Douglas gives an account of key instances that mark his life as an exceptional one. He was born out of wedlock and raised in poverty-stricken British Guiana. His efforts in academia helped him to get a scholarship to America, where he attended Lehigh University, Cornell University, and Cornell Medical School. His prowess enabled him to work at Xerox and Marion Merrell Dow companies. His achievements, both small and big, are detailed in the book. He embraced his leadership skills by choosing to teach the Bible while he was a young boy. Later in life, he was chosen vice president of Ciba Geigy and oversaw research globally.

I enjoyed many aspects of the writing. Firstly, the memoir demonstrates that one cannot judge an entire race from the actions of a few people. Frank witnessed discrimination from both white and black people. His aunt Edith discriminated by telling lies about him so that he would be punished severely. His father dismissed him during his childhood, leaving him without basic care and parental love. In his studies, some lectures humiliated him for being black. Other lectures applauded his efforts openly while challenging him to utilize his potential. It is also clear that his stepfather was his role model. Many people of various races, such as Americans, British, and Germans, treated him with the dignity he deserved and gave him chances to advance his life. The tone used in the book was informative, making highly charged events appear subtle.

I appreciated the details, especially the full names of professors, doctors, fellow researchers, and students. This provides concrete data that one can cross-reference from other writings. The description was precise, and I was able to grasp the story. Throughout the writing, it is apparent that Frank put his family first. This was very touching.

I did not enjoy the heavy usage of intricate medical and scientific terms. Some quoted poems, songs, and notes also made the book lengthy.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The rate could not have been lower because the book was fascinating. It tells not only about Frank's life, but also the history of medical studies and research. It showcases the cultures of different people with whom Frank interacted. The reader can see professionalism as Frank chooses 'the road less traveled' time and time again. Lessons are apparent, such as being industrious and listening to others' input as a leader.

I recommend Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream to readers who enjoy memoirs and nonfiction. This book will motivate young adults to focus on their strengths, especially those from marginalized areas and minority groups. Students interested in the sciences and medicine will amass interesting facts from the book.

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”