Review of The Most Unlikely Champion

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Destiny Freedom
Favorite Book: The Most Unlikely Champion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-aaton.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of The Most Unlikely Champion

Post by Destiny Freedom »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Most Unlikely Champion" by Vera Koo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The most spectacular rise can only come after you fall." Vera learns this from her experience in life, as God uses everything that she has been through to prepare her for her future. The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo with Justin Pahl is a 172-page memoir about the life of Vera Koo, an eight-time winner of the NRA National Action Pistol (Bianchi Cup) Championship. At the age of 12, she moved from Hong Kong to the United States with her parents. She was repeatedly told by her mother that she was plain-looking and needed to develop her inner beauty. She develops insecurities but surprisingly uses this as a drive in order to achieve her goals.

She had grown up and was raised as a traditional Chinese girl, where a woman's place was already defined and limited to her husband and children (family). Despite being raised as a traditional Chinese girl, she ventures into sports shooting with the intent of learning gun safety but discovers a unique passion for sports shooting. She faces a lot of challenges and makes shocking discoveries about her husband and her childhood, but uses this as fuel for her drive in sports shooting with the help of God (her faith in God) and her undeterred determination to always give her best in whatever she does.

In 2013, she is faced with yet another challenge which prevents her from participating in the 2013 Bianchi Cup that she had spent the whole year preparing for. This might seem less compared to the challenges she has faced in the past, but this will determine the future of her sports shooting career. Vera's ability to handle loss and get back up after each challenge in a short period of time and move forward without wallowing in self-pity was really fascinating.

I could relate a lot of her story to my personal life and couldn't possibly dislike anything about this book. Vera's story was a source of inspiration and motivation for me. This book is a great self-help book, and I'm glad that after reading this memoir, I've found a new role model and mentor. Vera is my new role model as she is a portrait of how I want to be myself. This book contained a plethora of lessons. Among the few are balance and hard work. Despite her responsibilities as a mother, wife, and businesswoman, she managed to balance everything while pursuing her sports shooting career.

Pictures of Vera Koo and her family were included in this book. Although this helped me visualise every aspect of the story, the pictures were in black and white and weren't really clear. This story was narrated in a clear, concise, and understandable manner. And overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was not only interesting, reviving, and motivational, but it was also professionally edited as I only spotted one error throughout the book. This book would be mostly enjoyable for people who love non-fictional and self-help books with inspirational stories.

The Most Unlikely Champion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
Destiny Freedom
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Pls ensure to leave a comment, I would really appreciate. Thanks
Many books can inform you but there's only one that can transform you(The Holy Bible). Pls don't forget to drop a comment for this review. Thanks. :D :tiphat:
julietmumbua23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julietmumbua23.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by julietmumbua23 »

Who does not love a success story by an underdog. Great review.
Kehinde Hussein
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehinde-hussein.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Kehinde Hussein »

There's always a delicate backdrop to every success story undeniably and it's so relieving that Vera learns from this and shoots herself into greatness. Interesting review!
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Vera's story sounds so endearing. I can't believe how her mother would tell her such things. Your review is wonderful to read and encouraging. Thanks!
Destiny Freedom
Currently Reading:

julietmumbua23 wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 03:23 Who does not love a success story by an underdog. Great review.
Thanks
Destiny Freedom
Currently Reading:

PeterRabitt20 wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 11:42 Vera's story sounds so endearing. I can't believe how her mother would tell her such things. Your review is wonderful to read and encouraging. Thanks!
Thanks
Peace10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace10.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Peace10 »

Determination cannot be underrated. After reading your review, I’ll like to read this book, too.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

We usually become stronger and more determined after adversity. It is unfortunate that Vera met with so many challenges in her young life, but it seems that she wad able to overcome them once she found her passion for sport shooting.
Destiny Freedom
Currently Reading:

Amy Luman wrote: 10 Jul 2022, 14:54 We usually become stronger and more determined after adversity. It is unfortunate that Vera met with so many challenges in her young life, but it seems that she wad able to overcome them once she found her passion for sport shooting.
True
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Having read your review, I would like to know the various challenges she faced and how she overcame them. I will be pick up the book to read. Good review
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Chiamaka Ogadimma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiamaka-ogadimma.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Chiamaka Ogadimma »

Having read your review, I would like to know the various challenges she faced and how she overcame them. I will be picking up the book to read. Good review
Do more, talk less. Never get mad at another man's success.
Oluwabiyi Israel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwabiyi-daniel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oluwabiyi Israel »

Really inspiring story that anyone with determined can make it big in life. Excellent review.
Okoye Chinonso+
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Spare Time Novels
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinonso-okoye.html
Latest Review: Yonder's Quest by Kyle Robertson
fav_author_id: 156444

Post by Okoye Chinonso+ »

To know the joy of victory, you must know the taste of defeat. I love this book; I'm adding it to my shelf. Great job on the review.
I believe that great success is possible in any field - From music to mathematics to macro trading.
Moyin Loveth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moyin-loveth.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Moyin Loveth »

I'm always eager to read about women who break societal boundaries. Reading this review has already made me fall in love with Vera Koo. I hope to enjoy this book as much as you did.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”