Review of Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In

Post by Hogwarts03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In" by Harold Toliver.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver is a book based on philosophy, astronomy and science that manages to explore the world between its popular myths and truth. It's a book that references well-known philosophers and theorists to create a piece of work that eases the elaborate confusion of the human mind in relation to our world.

The book is divided into four sections and, as a whole, is comprised of twelve chapters. The first section is called The Actual, the Hypothetical, and the Utterly False. It differentiates between the truth, the lies, and the unproved theories while giving notable examples at the same time. The second section is called Why People Took to Collective Illusions. It explores the role of grammar and language in passing on myths, both true and untrue, and how they vary with time. The third section is called Repair? Retrofit? Or Replace?. It mainly talks about modernism and rebuilding, and features the works of prominent figures such as Jonathan Swift and John Locke. The fourth section is called Myths of the Commonwealth. It summarizes why particular myths were brought about and believed in biblical contexts and periods of renaissance.

I have to admit that this book is a refreshing bundle of knowledge in different aspects of science, philosophy, and even literature. I also appreciate the amount of work and extensive research that the author put into this book. The arguments were clear, concise, and convincing. The content was presented in a straightforward and easily legible way. Another aspect of the book I enjoyed were the printed references at the end. The references show that the author put in a lot of research and also provide me with resources in case I decide to follow up on a particular topic mentioned in the book.

There was nothing that I particularly disliked about the book. The style of writing may be boring and hard for others to understand but we must look at the fact that this is not a fantasy or fiction book. It's a philosophical book that is written in a purely philosophical manner.

I found no errors or mistakes whilst reading. This book was professionally edited and I'll give it 4 out of 4 stars.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone, young or old, who enjoys reading philosophical works and would like to grasp an interesting overview of the world.

Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I an not really into philosophical books. I took a philosophy class in college and failed miserably. Probably this sort of thing takes too much deep thought and attention. I do better with fiction that doesn’t delve too deep.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”