Review of The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Spencer Maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencer-maina.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Review of The Reel Sisters

Post by Spencer Maina »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four women from different backgrounds have the habit of meeting once in a while for their favourite sport, fly fishing. At the river, they share fishing skills, crack jokes, and even open up about their life burdens. One day, while fly fishing, they heard a helpless naked girl screaming for help. They quickly ran to her aid and rescued her from drowning. That drowning event seemed to have ignited an old memory in one of the women, Rose, who suddenly got overwhelmed with emotions. For the rest, the experience of fishing for a naked girl was too amusing to forget. And after bonding with the older four women for awhile, the young  girl was officially recruited into the team.

Michelle Cummings' novel, The Reel Sisters, details the lives and adventures of five women, each of whom tells her own story. Love life, fun memories, pain, tragedy, and all other adventures these women go through are compared to activities related to their favourite fly fishing sport.

I found this book to be a beneficial source of courage and motivation. For instance, all of the five women featured in this book have gone through some tough times in their lives, but they keep on recollecting themselves and continue fighting. Reading this book also equipped me with some fly fishing skills. Rose's explanations of fishing procedures were deep, hence a free lesson also for readers. In addition, I am proud to have known a little bit of fly fishing vocabulary, for example, trippet, leader, reel, line, fly, and many others. Moreover, I enjoyed this book to the fullest because of its constant suspense and unique and procedural unveiling of mysteries. The switch between comic and sad scenes also catalysed my love for this book.

I appreciate how Michelle Cummings gave her characters solid significance in the book. I also liked how the story developed and became more attractive chapter after chapter. Additionally, this book was exceptionally well-edited, and I don't have any negative aspects to comment on. Therefore, I will rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Many of the topics tackled in this book are majorly favouring the girl child. I also found out that all the main five characters in this book represent ages from young adults to old. Consequently, I will recommend The Reel Sisters to women in the above age range. I believe the message in this book will be impactful in their lives and those close to them.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”