Review of Eating Bull

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medra Pattillo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medra-pattillo.html
Latest Review: Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin

Review of Eating Bull

Post by Medra Pattillo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Eating Bull" by Carrie Rubin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I found the book Eating Bull by Carrie Rubin a very enjoyable read. It is a story of an obese teenager, Jeremy, and his struggles with self esteem, losing weight, bullying, and relationships. The book looks at the relationships between Jeremy and the various other characters such as his mother, his grandfather, and the public health nurse Sue. The story is about how the problem of obesity affects each character and their various perspectives on the problem from each character's experiences and interactions with other characters.

Eating Bull is not what what you would expect. The story is exciting because of an element of danger introduced through a serial killer and his unique perspective and experiences with obesity and bullying that parallels Jeremy's struggles. This aspect of the story is unique and gives the reader an additional and intriguing layer to the story.

What makes the book a good read is the way the author develops each character and each storyline in relation to the main character. The book is well written and has a flow and progression that keeps the reader engaged and interested in what is happening in the story. This book is not appropriate for anyone under 13 years old as the subject matter requires the reader to have the ability to think deeply about the implications of the story in relation to their own life.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the style of the writing, the pace of the story, and the depth of each character. The book was both entertaining and thought provoking and kept me engaged. The story developed at a good pace making me want to keep reading to find out what would happen next. Each character was interesting and had their own distinct personalities that interacted in a very realistic way. You could understand and relate to the humanity and struggles of each character throughout the course of the story which makes you care about what is going to happen to each character as the story develops, I also liked that the book did not contain expicitc sex or depend upon foul language to relate the characters' emotions or perspectives. I did not find anything I disliked about the book

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars and I recommend this book to anyone looking for a well written story that is entertaining and thought provoking.

Eating Bull
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”