Review of Days of the Giants

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of Days of the Giants

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

RJ Petrella takes readers deep into the world of healthcare workers in this lovely novel.

Slater Barnes, a new intern at the Boston City Hospital, discovers that his long-time alcoholism has led to a terminal condition that might change all his life plans. Regardless of this, he decides to fulfil his dream of being a medical doctor and helping people. While he takes on a very demanding role in one of the busiest medical centres, Slater soon discovers that some corrupt officials are trying to sell out the Boston City Hospital and deceive its workers. Despite struggling with relationships, health, and work issues, will Slater be able to save the hospital and protect everything that public healthcare stands for? Find out what it means to be a true hero in Days of the Giants.

Petrella narrates using the first-person perspective of two characters; Slater and his father's spirit. I liked reading from the latter's point of view, as it spanned over every character and event. The occasional switch between these character perspectives is excellently done without leaving readers confused.

I love the amount of detail and research that was put into this publication; there is an inclusion of numerous medical terminologies, equipment, and procedures. Even though a lot of medical terms are used in the book, readers won't be left confused as such terms are briefly explained in the course of narration. Petrella's inclusion of politics and relatable workplace drama makes the book even more interesting.

Petrella enlightens readers about the typical lives of healthcare providers; he emphasizes their dedication and unwavering determination in carrying out their jobs. This evoked a newfound appreciation for these selfless workers in me.

The only thing I don't like about this text is that it is slow-paced. Consequently, some readers might lose interest after a few chapters as nothing exciting happens at first. In spite of this, it is an enjoyable read.

I can say that the book has undergone professional editing, as I couldn't find any grammatical errors. Hence, I am rating Days of the Giants as four out of four stars.

Days of the Giants is a perfect blend of crime, thriller, and mystery, so I would recommend it to readers who enjoy these genres. This book is only suitable for a mature audience as it contains strong language.

There are also some religious references in this book, but it doesn't affect reading for readers of different faiths.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

I would really like to know if Slater was able to save the hospital. I will add this to my next read. Thanks for your nice review.
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

The fact that the book is written in the perspective of Slater and his father's spirit piqued my interest in the book. The plot sounds interesting.
Matire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matire.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Matire »

Workers in the healthcare system all over the world deserve accolades, and I think this book serves to reiterate that. I'll add this to my want-to-read shelf, seems interesting. Beautiful review!
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

I really loved your plot summary of the book. However, I'm discouraged by the book’s slow pace. I really hope fiction writers would devote more attention to creating anticipation and suspense. The last novel I read was so dull that I was forced to take a break from reading.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

Sounds like a very centralized story with enough drama to make a saga. I am very involved in the medical field myself and would love to check this book out. Thanks for the elaborate review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Matire wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:18 Workers in the healthcare system all over the world deserve accolades, and I think this book serves to reiterate that. I'll add this to my want-to-read shelf, seems interesting. Beautiful review!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Gwrites208 wrote: 27 May 2022, 10:06 The fact that the book is written in the perspective of Slater and his father's spirit piqued my interest in the book. The plot sounds interesting.
It's a really interesting piece. You should definitely give it a try
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Matire wrote: 27 May 2022, 12:18 Workers in the healthcare system all over the world deserve accolades, and I think this book serves to reiterate that. I'll add this to my want-to-read shelf, seems interesting. Beautiful review!
Thanks.
Healthcare workers do not get nearly as much appreciation as they should.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Chinonso Onwurah wrote: 27 May 2022, 17:47 I really loved your plot summary of the book. However, I'm discouraged by the book’s slow pace. I really hope fiction writers would devote more attention to creating anticipation and suspense. The last novel I read was so dull that I was forced to take a break from reading.
The suspense at the ending makes up for the slow start. I think you'd really enjoy this book regardless.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Elijah0007 wrote: 28 May 2022, 17:06 Sounds like a very centralized story with enough drama to make a saga. I am very involved in the medical field myself and would love to check this book out. Thanks for the elaborate review.
There definitely was a lot of drama in the hospital.
Moyinmoni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Moyinmoni »

I would really love to find out how and if slater saved the hospital.
Health workers are the real heroes.
Lydia Efobi 1
Favorite Book: Love Hypothesis
Currently Reading: Six of Crows
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lydia-efobi-1.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Lydia Efobi 1 »

I do not like a slow paced tale. Even though this book is in line with my professional field, I do not see any connection. You have done a good review but this book does not appeal to me
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

First, I love the title of this book. Second, I love the message Petrella used Slater to pass across. I hope other workers emulate his honesty, diligence, and service to humanity. This book deserves a large read.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Kingsondml wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 07:24 First, I love the title of this book. Second, I love the message Petrella used Slater to pass across. I hope other workers emulate his honesty, diligence, and service to humanity. This book deserves a large read.
I'm also sure the author meant for the book to serve as inspiration to other health workers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”