Review of Devil in False Colors

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Devil in False Colors

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Devil in False Colors" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A massacre of five Jewish children in Beverly Hills, California, rocks the nation and the world at large. Shortly after, an outspoken Jewish rabbi, Meir Rosenblum, is found brutally murdered. All evidence points to the ‘DEASH’ ISIS caliphate. In truth, it is a framed plot by the Hezbollah extremists working for Iranian and Arabic Shia Muslims, all in an effort to rid the world of their hated enemy, the Jews. Lara Edmond, previously of the FBI and now working with the JTTF, is brought in for her special skillset and experience dealing with terrorists. She’s reunited with Uri Levin, a Mossad agent known as the Kidon, and her old lover, to follow the clues, catch the culprit, and stop a larger plot from brewing. The Iranians have a greater card up their sleeve, however—an unprecedented missile threat. The two agents must race against the clock to get the better of the terrorists. All this and more follows the storyline of Devil in False Colors, the third book in the Lara and Uri Series written by Jack Winnick.

I’m one of those people who wholeheartedly believe they have a strong stomach. That didn’t save me from putting down the book occasionally because of the brutality. A hate crime against the Jewish people immediately set the stage for the book’s opening and establishes the gory level of detail within. Profanity and slurs are also present. Therefore, I think readers, especially Jews and Sunni Muslims, should be issued a content warning before proceeding.

After reading this book, I settled on a rating of three out of four stars. Only the presence of errors in the writing marred the finish of this book. I’ve come to realize that some errors in the book—like the odd breaking up of subordinate conjunctions and other sentence fragments—are simply Winnick’s writing style, so I’ve adapted accordingly and have not taken these into consideration. There was, however, still a large number of other errors present. I don’t believe the book has been professionally edited because of them.

Honestly, the antagonists were lacklustre, especially as much of the action is enacted by suicide- and trigger-happy child-men. Cumulatively, they don’t seem to have enough brain cells to generate a spark; sure, their leaders have just enough savvy to mastermind an international-level threat, but the execution and pointlessness, as well as their willingness to go to off themselves at the slightest chance, made my eyes swivel endlessly in their sockets. This is not a point against Winnick’s writing. Subtly woven in the narrative are statements aimed at the ridiculous thought processes of the minions, which prove his own acknowledgement of and disdain for this. It also is a sad mimicry of how it is in reality. Do I wish for better candidates for a fictional story’s villains? You bet. The action in the story made up for my complaints in this regard, though.

Running a similar vein, I think this book does more than simply provide a fictional account of a terrorist plot. It also provides an insight into the Middle East. The parties involved and the sentiments at play seem congruent with what’s been reflected in world news, though obviously some incidents are made up. Great examples of this congruency are the divide between the Sunni and Shia Muslims, the friction between the Zionists and anti-Israel groups, and the balancing act of other nations. It makes sense, then, that a largely political and military bent mostly supplants the romantic side of Devil in False Colors. Elements of misdirection and subterfuge add suspense to the story, which I greatly enjoyed.

Lara and Uri’s on-and-off relationship has been the axis of this series’ plotline. This instalment doesn’t differ over much from the other books in this respect. A big turn-point in their relationship occurs that lovers of the series have to look forward to. If you’re like me and haven’t read the series in order, this will be a pleasant surprise. On that same note, the book can be read as a standalone.

Devil in False Colors would be a great fit for readers with a preference for fast-paced novels with religiously influenced terrorist plots and an ongoing romance. A mature audience is required, considering the themes and points discussed.

Devil in False Colors
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”