Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Blessing E
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-e.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review of Zona: The Forbidden Land

Post by Blessing E »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Zona: The Forbidden Land" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zona: The Forbidden Land is a science fiction and adventure novel of 398 pages written by Fred G. Baker, an award-winning author.

Randall Taylor was a Russian scientist who frequently traveled to different countries for research and scientific purposes. However, on his journey to Zona, an unexplored part of Siberia, he went missing. After a year without communication from him, he was presumed to be dead. As a result, his nephew, Grant Taylor, was contacted to claim his belongings. Grant proceeded to his uncle's house in St. Petersburg and discovered detailed notes about his expedition. Upon discovering certain issues about Randall's exploration, he suspected that there might be more complexities surrounding his alleged death. Thus, he decided to participate in the second mission to Zona. Will he get answers to his questions?

The writing style employed by the writer was simple and vivid. Due to this, I could see myself in the same scene as the characters. The suspense was intense, and I was left to wonder what would happen next. Similarly, I loved the setting of the book and how the author introduced the characters. As a result, they were enthralling, and what they represented stayed with me. To be sincere, when I first started reading Zona: The Forbidden Land, I could not help but stay glued to my seat.

On the downside, in the course of reading this book, I noticed that the core themes that were meant to be explored were ignored. This means that the high libido, temper, and mutiny that I read about subsequently overwhelmed the main concepts, which were botany, scientific research, and unraveling Randall's presumed death. Furthermore, the author began to overemphasize specific parts of this book as the story progressed. For this reason, the compelling effect the story first had on me waned.

In view of the aspects I disliked, I have no other option but to give Zona: The Forbidden Land a rating of three out of four stars. I did not give it a perfect rating because the negatives reduced my overall appreciation of it.

Every reader can relate to how distracting it is to read a book that is full of grammatical or punctuation errors. Thankfully, I can state that this novel was exceptionally well-edited since I did not come across any errors.

It is also crucial to disclose that this book will appeal to readers who love novels about adventure, scientific research, mutiny, romance, and mystery. As such, I recommend it to them.

Zona: The Forbidden Land
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I'd want to know of Grant eventually find out about his Uncle. The adventures in this book seems like what I will find interesting. Well done.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I'd want to know of Grant eventually find out about his Uncle. The adventures in this book seems like what I will find interesting. Well done.
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

I agree with your conclusion. The book was remarkable but had some drawbacks towards the end. Thank you for a critical review!
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Books that are full of adventure are interesting and exciting to read, so I will check this book out. Great review.
Poetic Justice
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

I wonder what the outcome of the search for this adventurer will be. His nephew, Taylor, is quite proactive, considering that he found some information. This will be an interesting read. Well done.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

What an interesting science fiction book! I love the investigative part of it. Hope Grant Taylor was able to find the truth about Randall Taylor missing.
Chimereucheya Okoroafo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimereucheya-okoroafo.html
Latest Review: Life's ecstasy and eternal struggles by Sandra mayfield

Post by Chimereucheya Okoroafo »

Truly, I understand how you must've felt. Authors diving away from the main idea or theme, into a void, incomprehensible idea is demoralizing. I'd simply lose interest and start skipping pages so I can get to the end as it seems as though the author must've forgotten what he was writing about.
You have a life to live. If you ain't living it, that's failure. :tiphat:
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

I think it should go another round of editting to receive a full score. From your review, I can tell it has a potential.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

Wow, I'm so happy to see this book, I love reading scientific books, it gives me a lot of insight and knowledge of the world's occurrences. Great review.
Huini Hellen
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Conversing with Various Entities
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-huini-hellen.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Huini Hellen »

I read this book sometimes back and loved its initial premise. Similarly, I felt that the author deviated from the main storyline and that almost detracted from my enjoyment of the text, as I felt isolated from the initial premise. Thank you for your thorough review.
The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting. The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way. - Marcus Aurelius
Emah22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emah22.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Emah22 »

Your review captures the core points of this book. I also think I find the topics super interesting. On this note, I will give it a try. Well done.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Still wondering whether Grant will find his uncle Randall and how he will do it. The story sounds fascinating, and I will be adding the book to my want-to-read shelf.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
honeybear_11001
Currently Reading: A Dream For Peace
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybear-11001.html

Post by honeybear_11001 »

Seems like a wonderful book. I loved your summary of the book and I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the wonderful and detailed review.
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

I have read this book but I love your review. It is well detailed. Everyone should give it a try, It is worth it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”