Review of Beyond the Higher Ground

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jobfree334
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jobfree334.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Beyond the Higher Ground

Post by Jobfree334 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beyond the Higher Ground" by Thomas A. Brigger.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beyond the Higher Ground, by Thomas A. Brigger, is a work of fiction set in modern America. It is a story that has the genres of crime, drugs, mystery, and suspense. The novel is about Tucker Mason, who is a fearless character who tries to investigate the person who broke into his home. Mason was emotionally down after his wife died in a car crash. For him to let go of his deceased wife, he relocated to a remote area and accepted a job as a project manager very close to a prison facility. When he arrives at his new house, many strange things happen. A gun was fired at his room, and a heart was left in front of his door. The most mysterious thing that happened was when he was hit by a truck that almost took his life. Mason was enraged by who was behind all this, and he began to investigate the matter, and eventually found out that the person messing with him had some weird connections with his apartment. Who is this person that broke into Mason's apartment? Is this person a spirit or a human being? Read this book in order to find out.

What I liked best about the book is the strange things that happen in Mason's house. While reading this part, it was like watching a horrific movie. I was scared at some point, especially the parts when a gun was shot in Mason's house and when he was hit by a moving vehicle. I also love how the author brings the issue of drugs into the story. He did not just talk about what was going on within Mason apartments but also talked about how drugs were smuggled into the prison site.

I don't like that the book is told in third person because it made me feel disconnected at times while reading it. Although that doesn't take away the interesting part of the story.

Overall, I loved the suspense and mystery as well as the characters in the novel. Every inch of the story intrigued me. The problem of it being written in third-person narrative doesn't distract me from liking the text. It is exceptionally well-edited since it doesn't have a single grammatical or typographical error. As a result, I will give this text a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

The book has no sexual content at all, but just a little profane language. I would recommend it to anybody over the age of fifteen who loves fictional stories that are quite scary or stuffed with mysterious events and dramatic tension.

Beyond the Higher Ground
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”