Review of The Last Raider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marsha JJ
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: The Girl I Never Knew by LaDonna Humphrey
2022 Reading Goal: 20
2022 Goal Completion: 275%

Review of The Last Raider

Post by Marsha JJ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Last Raider" by Spencer Anderson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Spencer Anderson’s The Last Raider is a suspenseful novel complete with daring missions, rescue attempts, and covert operations. Lieutenant Cody Archer is a Navy pilot who is asked to take on a dangerous mission with another pilot named Perry. Rebel Serbian forces have taken U.N. weapons and used them to shoot down a U.N. helicopter near Sarajevo. Cody is asked to secure photographic evidence in a risky maneuver by entering a no-fly zone. When their plane is downed by the enemy, the U.S. government can’t rescue them without provoking an international incident. Cody’s grandfather takes matters into his own hands to save his grandson with a plane he is refurbishing. At its heart, it’s a story of a strong family bond that puts love above personal safety.

There were many aspects of the book that I enjoyed. I appreciated how The Last Raider deftly wove together adventure and drama. I also found that the book had a nice flow and captured my interest. The characters were likable and well-developed. As a result, it was easy to engage with their stories and empathize with them.

One of the characters I particularly enjoyed reading about was Cody’s grandfather, Carl. He had an interesting background, as a former CIA agent. In his later years, he continued to pursue adventure and romance. Carl’s romantic involvement with a local entrepreneur named Beth added a softer side to the book. There was a nice balance between the grandfather’s story and that of his grandson. It was admirable that Carl’s daring nature came in handy when his grandson needed his help. The author also successfully integrated Cody’s father into the narrative with the background that Cody’s father was involved in weapons systems development. The book is strengthened by the backstories of each of these characters, and the stories of other characters in the book.

My only minor criticism is that I sometimes found the book to be overly detailed with its descriptions of the plane equipment and refurbishment. As I’m not an airplane hobbyist, those sections of the book were less interesting to me than the rest of the book.

In general, I quite enjoyed the book, and I found it to be exceptionally well-edited. For those reasons, I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Last Raider is for readers who are interested in entertaining, suspenseful stories. Those who enjoy airplanes or war stories would especially appreciate this book. I recommend this book to a wide audience of adults who are looking for a book that will keep them engaged and entertained.

The Last Raider
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Sarah1738
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah1738.html
Latest Review: Tempest of Destiny by J L Gryphon

Post by Sarah1738 »

I enjoyed reading your review. It's detailed and interesting. I enjoy suspenseful books so am sure that this will be an interesting read for me.
Poetic Justice
Gifty_biblophile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifty-biblophile.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Gifty_biblophile »

Books that are full of suspense gets me excited. Nice review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”