Review of Killing Abel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emiglee.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Review of Killing Abel

Post by Emiglee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Killing Abel" by Michael Tieman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After losing their (first) home and then being cursed for their shortcoming, Adam and Eve are left to fend for themselves in a world so new to them. For the first time in their few months of existence, they are faced with the decision to either survive separately or depend on each other for safety. Unlike in the garden, life was tough on the outside, and they didn't have their father to guide them, but they soon realise that this wasn't true, and their exile was a form of protection. How did these two personalities, with different views of life, make it work? We all think or believe Eve fell due to disobedience, but did we ever think it was because of her curiosity or ignorance?

Killing Abel by Michael Tieman is a historical fiction that depicts the beginning of human creation in a beautifully relatable way. In this book, the author gives an imaginary view of events that occurred in the garden of Eden, retelling the story of Adam and Eve's fall. He takes us through the early days of man's existence, their struggles for survival, and the genesis of human feelings and procreation. In his way, the author fills up details not told in the original story, giving possible answers to some questions the readers might be curious about.

My favourite thing about the book is that it demystifies the story of procreation in the Christian bible. It tells the same story from a different point of view, and in an understandable way. Not only was Adam and Eve's story broken down, but also the stories of their offsprings, down to the great flood, were also told. I love the fact that every character was unriddled, and every plot was duly attended to, leaving the book with no plot holes. In such a seamless way, the author speaks about parenting, restitution, discipline, and humility. He even simplifies the concept of love and law.

God's persona as a father is not often dwelled upon in the old testament, and it's admirable how the author beautifully links his disciplinary actions with fatherhood. While reading the book, I got to understand humanity and saw the biblical characters in a different light. Everything about the book was pleasantly surprising, and I found myself drawn into the story.

I disliked the book initially because of its inaccuracies and the misquoted bible verses, but I soon realised that the author was only giving his interpretation and explanation of the stated verses. Although there was some untruthfulness to the story in comparison to the biblical occurrence, the author did a great job portraying all events in an enthralling way.

I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars as there was absolutely nothing I could find wrong with the book. It was well-edited, and I enjoyed reading the book a lot.

I recommend this book to mature Christians and readers, as it can be misleading to those who are young in faith. I also think enthusiasts of the creation of man will find this an interesting read.

Killing Abel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
LadyWhyte3
Currently Reading: A dream for peace
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladywhyte3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
2022 Reading Goal: 24
2022 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by LadyWhyte3 »

Killing Abel is the most interesting book I've read this year. The lessons contained within are enormous and eye opening. One cannot help but wonder how different Christianity would be today if the entire Bible were written this way.
Thank you for this amazingly detailed review. I enjoyed reading it.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels

Post by Elijah0007 »

I loved this. It is definitely deserving of nothing less than 4 stars. The way the characters were depicted as actual sentient beings rather than characters for reference was amazing. I would read another Michael Tieman book without hesitation. You have written a wonderful review.
Bunmi27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bunmi27.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Bunmi27 »

I really enjoyed reading this book. The manner at which the author described each characters was top notch. The book gave a better insights into events that happened in the Bible. Your review did a great justice to the book.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 573
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Shadow: The Moonracer Chronicles by T. August Green
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I enjoy hearing fictionalized versions of things that are not specifically told in the Bible. No one really knows what happened. I see that the characters were real and relatable, not some difficult to understand ephemera.
ru_thie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ru-thie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
2022 Reading Goal: 100
2022 Goal Completion: 9%

Post by ru_thie »

It's always easy to judge people from an outsider's perspective. Everyone blames Eve for eating the forbidden fruit but if it was any of us I'm not sure the results would've been different. I think this is a brilliant work of fiction that seeks to help people understand how human these Biblical characters were.
elagbemi057
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elagbemi057.html
Latest Review: Stolen Grace by Rev Errol E Leslie

Post by elagbemi057 »

I really enjoy this book, I haven’t see life differently. The way the author describes their existence is something else. No one has ever seen them leaving the garden other than Eve disobedience. Such a beautiful review
Dera Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dera-okeke.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Dera Okeke »

The book is so touching, I love how the author references the bible in the book. I have read the book. Great review.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:

Post by Emiglee »

LadyWhyte3 wrote: ↑17 May 2022, 14:11 Killing Abel is the most interesting book I've read this year. The lessons contained within are enormous and eye opening. One cannot help but wonder how different Christianity would be today if the entire Bible were written this way.
Thank you for this amazingly detailed review. I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for your comment.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:

Post by Emiglee »

Elijah0007 wrote: ↑17 May 2022, 14:54 I loved this. It is definitely deserving of nothing less than 4 stars. The way the characters were depicted as actual sentient beings rather than characters for reference was amazing. I would read another Michael Tieman book without hesitation. You have written a wonderful review.
Yes, the characters were so understandable and I loved how much was said about their personalities. Michael Tieman sure does help one imagine better. I am glad you enjoyed the review. Thank you for your lovely comment.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:

Post by Emiglee »

Bunmi27 wrote: ↑17 May 2022, 15:12 I really enjoyed reading this book. The manner at which the author described each characters was top notch. The book gave a better insights into events that happened in the Bible. Your review did a great justice to the book.
Thank you for your comment. It is very much appreciated. I had the best time with the book: I'd like to read it again.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:

Post by Emiglee »

Amy Luman wrote: ↑17 May 2022, 18:30 I enjoy hearing fictionalized versions of things that are not specifically told in the Bible. No one really knows what happened. I see that the characters were real and relatable, not some difficult to understand ephemera.
The characters were indeed relatable in such a way one cannot help but sympathise with some of their decisions. Thank you for your comment.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:

Post by Emiglee »

ru_thie wrote: ↑18 May 2022, 05:06 It's always easy to judge people from an outsider's perspective. Everyone blames Eve for eating the forbidden fruit but if it was any of us I'm not sure the results would've been different. I think this is a brilliant work of fiction that seeks to help people understand how human these Biblical characters were.
I agree, the flaws in humanity is one we should try to understand and not just condemn or criticise. Thank you for your comment.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:

Post by Emiglee »

elagbemi057 wrote: ↑18 May 2022, 05:52 I really enjoy this book, I haven’t see life differently. The way the author describes their existence is something else. No one has ever seen them leaving the garden other than Eve disobedience. Such a beautiful review
The author sure did a great job in filling the voids in those stories. Glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for your comment.
Emiglee
Currently Reading:

Post by Emiglee »

Dera Okeke wrote: ↑20 May 2022, 14:37 The book is so touching, I love how the author references the bible in the book. I have read the book. Great review.
The Bible references made the story all the more real. Thank you for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”