Review of A Dead End Job

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review of A Dead End Job

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Dead End Job" by Justin Alcala.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Dead End Job tells the story of a broke and struggling ex-soldier turned hitman whose life takes an interesting turn after he dies. He is ironically revived by the grim reaper popularly known as ‘death' and has to serve as an intern in return. While death is away on Holiday, buck is required to stand in and help get rid of the undead who are irrationally killing humans and messing up the system. With his previous experience, this job should be easy enough, right?

He is soon caught up in the middle of a fight for supremacy among the undead and meets seemingly allies who promise a way out of death’s contract. He’s also picked up a mute werewolf girl on a mission, becoming her illegal guardian. Amidst parenting, settling into a new job, and increasing bills, Buck has to figure out who the true enemy is, whom to trust, and which side to stay on, especially when everyone seems to be hiding something. How will this story play out?

The first thing I fell in love with was the character ‘death’. Death’s personality is that of an introverted workaholic with an action figure obsession. His sarcasm and quirkiness make him one of the funniest characters in the book.

Another thing I loved about this work is how good the narration is.
Justin Alcala's vivid description of each scene, dialogue, location, and character makes you feel like you are watching a film or experiencing the clips in real life. Justin brings the main character ‘buck’ to life with explicit details, mentioning even the tiniest characteristics such as buck's coffee preference and his favourite tie .

I also admired how Justin gives an insight into the after-effects of war on soldiers through the main character.

Perhaps my favourite highlight of this read is the relationship between Buck and Luna. The gradual procession from what seemed an unlikely pairing of strangers into a family is sure to stir heartwarming emotions in the heart of readers.

This book is well written, and it’s plot properly executed. There is not an aspect of this work that I dislike.

Throughout the course of reading this I only encountered a single error, it was thoroughly edited. As a result, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy thrillers and stories with a comical element. It is an amazing piece, worth every minute spent reading.

A Dead End Job
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Moyinmoni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Moyinmoni »

I had a good laugh reading this book. I share your sentiments on death, he's one of the best characters in the book.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

Wow! The plot seems so interesting—you write really well. I loved how death is personified in the book.
Matire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matire.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Matire »

Your review is so good, I honestly wish to read about Buck, Death and Luna as soon as possible. Again, supernatural never misses!
Gideon Olomofe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gideon-olomofe.html
Latest Review: An autopsy with a smile by Snejana Danwell

Post by Gideon Olomofe »

I love the plot of this book. It would really be a true thriller and tension-inducing read. Well done.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Gwrites208 wrote: 23 May 2022, 09:13 I love the plot of this book. It would really be a true thriller and tension-inducing read. Well done.
Thanks for your comment.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Matire wrote: 21 May 2022, 06:31 Your review is so good, I honestly wish to read about Buck, Death and Luna as soon as possible. Again, supernatural never misses!
You would enjoy reading about buck and lena's relationship, and death is an hilarious character you would simply adore. Thanks for stopping by.
Nyam Bura
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: When No One Else Believed
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyam-bura.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Nyam Bura »

I loved your review. The book would really be interesting to readers who love supernatural stories. I'm not into supernatural so I don't think I will be reading this. Thanks for the review.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Nyambura Kar wrote: 26 May 2022, 00:37 I loved your review. The book would really be interesting to readers who love supernatural stories. I'm not into supernatural so I don't think I will be reading this. Thanks for the review.
I still think you would enjoy the book Thanks for your comments
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I could just feel the ingenuity of the author seeping through the review. It's a little bit on the darkside but I I don't mind. I'm very interested in seeing what this "death" character is all about. Thanks for the review.
wmeki510
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wmeki510.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by wmeki510 »

The author's imagination and subsequent crafting of this storyline is captivating. I am also impressed to read about the author's fine descriptive prowess.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am in the middle of a series about zombies. I never thought it would hold my interest. This novel would be an interesting transition as it contains many different supernatural creatures.
Oluwapelumi Rachael

Kingsondml wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 07:57 The author's imagination and subsequent crafting of this storyline is captivating. I am also impressed to read about the author's fine descriptive prowess.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed after reading this. Thanks for your comment.
Christabel Egbeama
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-egbeama.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: B09KBSDRDG

Post by Christabel Egbeama »

I'm laughing at myself right now, because I read this review with my eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. Lol. The plot of this book is so good and very intriguing. Your review really did intensify it, putting me in suspense. I'm eager to know about the rest of the book. I'm adding it to my reading list. Thanks for the great review.
Emmanuel Okotie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-okotie.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Emmanuel Okotie »

I couldn't help but notice the wonderful relationship between these two, Buck and Luna.
It sure added some spice to this book.
I also must say, your review is quite amazing.
Nice job. One can easily get an idea of what this book is about.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”