Review of Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kaivalya Khisti
Currently Reading: The Hand Bringer
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaivalya-khisti.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Review of Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Post by Kaivalya Khisti »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise" by John K Danenbarger.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger is a dark family drama accentuated by hatred, malice, misplaced anger, and unrequited emotions. The drama spans multiple generations. Each member has a unique story, dark and swathed in mystery. The dots that seem dispersed and disparate connect in the most unexpected ways, putting together a story that would rob readers of their sleep. There are murders, betrayals, loss of key scientific discoveries, talking dolphins, voices of the dead, and blood-stained heirlooms. In the heart of the chaos are deeply flawed and disgruntled human beings dealing with each other’s dark realities.

I loved the style of narration the most. Danenbarger has a knack for writing crime thrillers. The red herrings are carefully placed throughout the story to maintain a sense of suspense. The twists and turns are unpredictable and inspired. The story rocks back and forth between different time frames. In one chapter the author could be telling his readers the story of a character in the distant past, and the very next chapter takes readers into the future with another character. It is easy to feel intimidated. One might feel that they are being told separate stories that cannot possibly have the same ending. This book requires patience and a liking for slow-burning stories.

The characters are well developed. They are not necessarily likeable, but definitely relatable. The author uses his characters to explore complex human emotions and succeeds brilliantly. He talks about drug addictions, suicidal tendencies, flesh trade, murderous proclivities, homosexuality, etc. This book is not for the faint-hearted. There is a considerable amount of profanity, discomforting sexual encounters, and gruesome deaths. Sensitive readers should not pick this book up.

Given the title, one might think that the book would have a considerable amount of physics and would be more scientific. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Apart from passing references to quantum physics, the author doesn’t offer much in the sense of scientific entanglement. So, I believe the title of the book is a bit misleading. Readers should not pick this book up if they are looking for a scientific read. This one is purely a family drama.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read. The pace of narration fluctuated, with the middle section getting dragged on a bit more than necessary. But the thrill was always maintained. To its credit, the book is professionally edited. I did not come across any grammatical errors. I would have given the book a perfect rating had it not been for the misleading title and uneven pace. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who love dark thrillers and family dramas. Given the content of the book, it is meant for adults only.

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”