Review of Always Before Me

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ChiClaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiclaire.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Review of Always Before Me

Post by ChiClaire »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Always Before Me" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Caught in a battle between material fame and spiritual satisfaction, a saintly priest chooses spiritual benefits over materialism, much to the anger and disappointment of socially influential people in society. This decision led to his fall.

Always Before Me by John Servant takes you through the journey of a good man, whose choice of his spiritual wellbeing and that of others is manifested in his love for undeserving prisoners. His imitation of his master made him suffer greatly for sins he did not commit. Just like his master, he is bound to have a tragic end. Overall, the story revolves around a Catholic priest who touches people's lives through his actions and homily. In trying to do what is right and morally gratifying, opposition will be encountered (the raging war between good and evil), especially by dishonest and morally deficient people. It takes patience, goodwill, and prayer to overcome this great tribulation, especially in cases where those being worked on are undeserving. This story describes unconditional love and gives a reflection of the life of Jesus, the Saviour. It shows one man bringing himself to nothing but finding consolation in the life of his master.

The story depicts the show of enduring love by Father Paul, who, even in the face of difficulties, shame, defamation, the media, and the law, remained strongly committed to his vow of secrecy in his vocation. It reflects the display of perfect love by a godly man who, even after betrayal and humiliation, remained steadfast in his belief and saw materialism as vanity. It also teaches us that love, though sincere and perfect, will not always be appreciated and reciprocated, and human guilt, greed, and ego will overshadow human thinking. This is seen in the characters of Ramon and Blood.

The book also shows the need for one to be selfless, especially in a society where its members are egomaniacs and selfish and have unwavering faith in what they believe in, despite the hurdles experienced in our daily lives.

I’m impressed by the author’s description of events and his narrative in the connecting of past events with present happenings. The book contains a lot of religious content, which people who do not believe in God and the Catholic faith might find dissatisfactory.

The positive aspect of this book is its ability to change the psychology of people from ugly to good. I have no negative comments about the book.

Since I found no errors, the book was exceptionally edited. I would, therefore, give it a rating of four out of four stars. The book will be of interest to religious people and those who have lost hope in love. Therefore, I recommend it to them.

Always Before Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”