Review of Always Before Me

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lynn Cherono
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lynn-cherono.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Review of Always Before Me

Post by Lynn Cherono »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Always Before Me" by John Servant.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

ALWAYS BEFORE ME

Always Before Me, is a book written by John Servant. The book indulges a religious life of a priest named father Paul, later, the life of father Anthony. The story is emotional and sad because it vividly narrates the life of father Paul in prison. It explains how hard and tempting life of a Christian man focusing his vision in heaven and suffering like a martyr fully and completely faithful to the Holy Spirit. Father Paul finds himself in prison under unfair circumstances at the hands of a bitter man. The story Portrays father Paul as a firm believer in what he believed in and fully dedicated in his faith. He doesn't allow anything even reason to compromise his faith in God. The story also touches on the life of father Anthony and how it was shaped by father Paul's life in prison. Their stories are almost similar but father Anthony gets his strength and farm resolution when he gets to meet Father Paul. The story also touches on the life of a prison warden Matt who saw firsthand the lives of these priests and what happened to them and that changed his life.

The story does not fail to touch the reader’s emotions; it engulfs their feelings to the point of tears and real sadness. The vivid description gives readers a perfect picture of what these two priests went through in their lives. The story gives a perfect picture of a life of a priest in prison and the challenges and temptations that come with it. The genuine honesty of the firm resolve these priests had is well brought out by the author. For example when father Anthony on page 81 asks the Lord that he should take the place of the girl who is suffering from cancer instead. The book is exceptionally edited.

The book is too religious and does not touch much on other aspects of life. The main character, a priest who was a prisoner, is an ideal person and does seem real. Readers, who do not like religious books, may not like them. The book is almost like preaching in itself.

I will rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. It is because the book is a well-written story, flaws naturally. The author touches the readers' emotions and makes them empathize with the lives of these priests.

I will recommend this book to religious people, particularly Christians. It is because the book explains the life of a priest. Roman Catholic father. I will recommend this book strongly to fathers and Catholic Deacons. It will be a perfect example for them to follow and encourage their congregations.

Always Before Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”