Review of Twisted But True

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sunflowerreads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunflowerreads.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Review of Twisted But True

Post by Sunflowerreads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted But True" by Darren Burch.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Twisted but True by Darren Burch is an exceptionally well-edited collection of stories and experiences from the author's time as a police officer. At the beginning of his book, the author recalls an incident from his high school years that had a lasting effect on his life. The book goes on to describe his early life as well as his path to becoming a police officer. The remainder of the book is dedicated to his twisted, but true, experiences and stories during his years as a cop.

I enjoyed the author's style of writing. The flow of it made me feel like I was listening to someone narrate stories to me. This book was written in such a way that I didn't want to put it down. Additionally, I enjoyed the humor and wit of the author. Several of the stories I read were hilarious. I had no idea a police officer endures half the things described in this book, such as the story of ride-along from hell.

A number of the stories in the book dealt with serious topics such as rape, assault, and police brutality, as well as the author's own experience with these issues. It was quite refreshing to read about police officers who strived to bring criminals to justice. Throughout one of the stories, I appreciated the author's efforts to get justice for the young woman who had been assaulted. It was pleasant to read about the police officers' efforts to improve the community. There was a lot of compassion and consideration shown by the police officers to their fellow citizens and even the wrongdoers.

I also enjoyed getting an insight into the author's life. Being both a doting single father and an upstanding citizen is something to be admired. I also admired the loyalty exhibited by the officers in this book to one another. It was nice to read about their willingness to put themselves in danger to protect their fellow officers The only thing I didn’t like about this book is that it ended! I would’ve loved to read more stories.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. Several of the stories had me laughing out loud while others left me quite sad. They were all interesting to me. I recommend this book for lovers of crime, as well as anyone looking for some good storytelling. Due to the book's themes of sexual assault and violence, it may be more suitable for an older audience.

Twisted But True
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Soraya Bayah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thuriya-albayaa.html
Latest Review: The Lockdown Collection by Barry Jacob

Post by Soraya Bayah »

I am eager to learn more about this book. As normal people, we do not understand how much trouble cops can get into to protect our community. Thank you for the optimistic review. I found myself giggling while reading it. :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”