Review of Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abdullah daliath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdullah-daliath.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Review of Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?

Post by Abdullah daliath »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?" by Kyle Oh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why Can’t Johnny just Quite? is a book that outlines the challenges that the author’s patients faced while they fought their addictions. The author’s writing is supported by many years of clinical experience, as well as evidence to back up his words.

Why Can’t Johnny Just Quite? by Kyle Oh consists of 291 pages and 17 chapters. Within this book, the writer speaks about genetics and the role that it plays in people’s mental health. The author explains that certain genes in your DNA can make certain people more prone to getting an addiction than others. Dopamine is a hormone released by the body. It’s responsible for the feeling of addiction. It’s not all bad though, we need it to survive. Furthermore, It’s only bad when we increase the dopamine in our body to unhealthy levels by taking drugs or other substances. Drugs wear off, our bodies do not. It continues to crave for that sensation that it once had, and so it drives you to smoke or drink more. This is how addiction is created.

The author writes in a simplistic manner so that the average person can understand. I like how compassionate the writer spoke and how he spoke of the struggles that some of his patients went through. I think he spoke in such detail so that we don’t follow their mistakes. I liked how in depth the writer spoke about different substances, it was very educational.

I appreciate how well researched the book was, and I must commemorate the writer as I could find no errors. I also liked how open he was when he spoke of his patients that he couldn’t save.

Overall, I found no negative aspects, only positive one’s and there was nothing that was said that could make me dislike this book in any way.

It is clear that the writer is a good person, which is why he chose his profession. It’s because of his dedication to help those with metal issues that I decided to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to those who are struggling with an addiction of any kind and to the younger generation. Maybe if they read this book, they can become more aware of what they are doing and what could possibly happen to them if they decide to do something reckless.

Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

The subject of addiction is quite sensitive. A book that tries to solve the reasons for this is a must-read. The use of research makes it authentic based on studies and facts. Mental Health issues are a part of our society today. Is it genetically inherited or modified? Can we rise above our addictions? What would it take to achieve that?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”