Review of Speaks for Itself

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Review of Speaks for Itself

Post by Salah bourouba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Speaks for Itself" by Jeffrey Paul Bailey..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Speaks For Itself A Commodity Of Musings From My Life by Jeffery Paul Bailey, is a poetry book the author wrote to express his deepest thoughts, feelings, and opinions about the world and himself on matters such as war, love, relationships, breakups, death, religion, and many more. The author has no specific structure that he follows; his collection of poems is written in basic and simple verses with no rhyme or a specific pattern. Each poem has its own theme and can be read as a standalone poem.

What I liked about the book is that the author didn't follow any rules or guidelines for poetry in his 64 poems. He followed his heart and what his feelings told him and put them onto paper. The poems were raw and real. That's what made them appealing to me. Based on his own experiences and the traumas that he went through, you feel like you can relate to and understand similar situations to yours from a different perspective. The author also used many intellectual and academic words that were new to my vocabulary. Though he sometimes used synonyms to emphasize certain ideas.

What I didn't enjoy about the book was the fact that there were times when the writing was too ordinary. He appeared to be writing in a diary rather than a poem. Sometimes a poem needs its structure of rhyme, meter, or musical pattern to make sense. I also didn't appreciate the book's cover at all. I understand that the lips were a metaphor for different types of speech or poems, but they were not creative at all. The author could have done a lot better on the cover to make it more attractive as a poetry book. The ending also lacked any concluding statements that would have made it personal and heartfelt.

I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 even though the poems were deeply expressed, I felt that some of them didn't really stand up to the title of a poem because they were too simple and basic. And the book lacked some definition of the poems for me to understand and relate to them more. The book seems professionally edited since I haven't found any mistakes.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys poetry or reading about and relating to other people's experiences. The book might seem a bit offensive at some points due to the severe emotions the author has. Also, it might contain some light erotic descriptions and profanity.

Speaks for Itself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

Have always been a great fan of poetry and would love to pick this book. Great review.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Walter R wrote: 24 Jan 2022, 06:27 Have always been a great fan of poetry and would love to pick this book. Great review.
Enjoy. thank you
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”