Review of The Fox

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Review of The Fox

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As demonstrated in history, illegitimate children born into a royal family are constantly faced with the critical challenge of proving their worth before they can ascend the throne. In most cases, they are faced with numerous opponents, and to survive, they have to turn against their humanity to prove their worth. In The Fox, M. N. J. Butler tells the story of Leotychides, a Spartan prince. The Spartan Kingdom is divided into two. Known for their loyalty and spirit of friendship, Leotychides finds himself an illegitimate prince in the Kingdom of Sparta. Leotychides is a prince, and, as expected of every prince, he is hoping to be king of one of the kingdoms in Sparta. As the rigour of ascension to the throne demands, Leotychides has to undergo pieces of training at the Spartan Academy. His journey of friendship in the academy played a considerable role in the life of Leotychides, who was telling his own story. However, Leotychides must conquer the illegitimacy tag on him to ascend the throne.

The details in this book, as it explored the fall of Sparta and the time preceding the fall of Sparta, made me like the book. Excluding the beauty in the first-person narrative, which made the book engaging, the wealth of history, information, and knowledge proves that the author is a diligent writer. The title of the book is ironic but well crafted. The author also shared in detail the lives of Spartan warriors. The facts and content are touching and honest. I enjoyed their loyalty the most. I also like the sequence of events. The author starts with how Leotychides began his life journey, how he grew up with his cousins, the disdain and rumours and silent comments of illegitimacy around him, and the initial absence of a father.

The author made a great effort in writing the book. However, the book is too bulky. The book has three hundred and one pages of close-gap paragraphing. The names used in the book are also very unusual and challenging to remember. I also felt the author was trying to communicate many things at once, and it was indeed overwhelming for a tender reader. On a larger scale, I discovered a number of punctuations.

Despite the odds, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because the logical connectivity of the story is commendable. The detailing is left to the last. The historical facts were all correct, and the setting was suitable. I so much loved the book's title, as it is paradoxical and needs in-depth interpretation. However, the book is bulky and has some pacing errors. Consequently, the rating is appropriate.

I recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction. More so, this book is not suitable for children as it contains profane language and some sexual themes. The book is also a great fit for university students studying ancient Greek history.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”