Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adaeze Joan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adaeze-joan.html
Latest Review: Of Roses & Storms by Sara Omar

Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by Adaeze Joan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Reading Pastoring is Not What You Think has given me more insights on so many things, especially salvation and redemption. I am now able to look at things more differently and more spiritually.

Pastor Job solely ran the affairs of the Church of All Graces and tried his best to keep the church running, despite the financial challenges the church was facing. Amidst that, he showed continual love and care to everyone. He tried as much as he could to convince everyone that prayer is the key to everything. People think that being a pastor is a lucrative job that anyone can go into because of the tithe and offerings, but in an actual sense, it is a call to sacrifice; it means constantly giving and putting others first.

The author, Elijah Oladimeji, made sure that all 11 chapters of this book gave inspiration and insights to its readers. There are lots of lessons to be learned from this book. I agreed with Pastor Job when he said that people give little and expect a lot in return, and most people enjoy reaping where they did not sow. I loved that he supported the messages he passed across with Bible verses. I find it quite funny that people seek God’s intervention even when they are at fault, like when Rodriguez, an illegal immigrant in Texas, called Pastor Job and requested that he pray for him not to get deported back to Mexico. The author used a simple writing style and wrote in the third person.

I enjoyed the author’s message on prosperity the most. Pastor Job made me understand that prosperity is not all about money; it means total freedom of the body, soul, and spirit. The only thing I did not like about this book was Pastor Job’s character; it seemed so unrealistic, as I couldn’t find any flaw. He always knew the right things to do and say at the right time, and he made no mistakes.

I am not a fan of spiritual self-help books, but I wanted to give this one a try, and I was not disappointed. This book was professionally edited, as I found no error in it. I award this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the reasons stated above. I would also like to state that I noticed just a few profane words while reading this book. Normally, I would have specifically recommended this book to people who love spiritual self-help books, but I think this book is a must-read for everyone who believes in God, especially those who want more understanding of His love for us.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Everyone sees the riches and benefits, no one sees the sacrifice. This is a great awakening. Thank you for the review.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

People actually think it’s a lucrative job, I have no idea what it is like for Pastors and would like to read this book to get an insight into the life of a pastor. Thanks for your review.
Darlings O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlington-onuoha.html
Latest Review: Imperfect Lives Perfect Grace by Dr. E.M. Johnson

Post by Darlings O »

This seems like an amazing spiritual book. I would definitely love to check it out. Thank you for your amazing review. I had an amazing time reading it. You were very honest too.
Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga
Favorite Book: How to Survive the Coming Retirement Storm
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korie-ifeoma-chisomaga.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Korie Ifeoma Chisomaga »

From a physical viewpoint, pastoring looks easy until you can experience the toils and sweat of it. Well done Joan for that nice review.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I would say that the book is of equal quality from beginning to end. I really appreciate that. Thanks for the good review.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

This review is an eye opener. Maybe if I also read this book, I might have a different point of view on different spiritual topics. Kudos on a well written review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I have always wondered how ministers cope with external expectations. These people are also humans! Thanks for the detailed review and recommendation.
Christabel18+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel18.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Post by Christabel18+ »

This book is going to clear the misconceptions people have about pastoring. thanks for the wonderful review.
CGO
Currently Reading: The Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by CGO »

I still think pastoring is a lucrative business. I’ll definitely love to see things from pastor Job’s point of view. He does sound perfect from the review, and I think that is quite unrealistic too. Thanks for the review.
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

I would love to read this book, because I also have a particular belief about pastoring. Interesting review.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

I enjoyed reading this book when I did. The author rightly pointed out that Christians want to give God little but expect much.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I didn't enjoy reading this book for a host of reasons, but you added some new perspectives to the messages the author passed. Nice review.
Onyinyechi Orji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechi-orji.html
Latest Review: Commercial Property Made Easy by Chris Lang

Post by Onyinyechi Orji »

As a Christian I agree with everything you learnt while reading this book. Prosperity is more than just the money. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”