Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review of Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by RHD »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who Told You That You Were Naked?: A Refreshing Reexamination of the Garden of Eden is a Christian book with a touch of uniqueness. William E. Combs seeks to enlighten us more on sin and redemption.

The author starts right at the beginning. Creation of man, according to the Bible, begun at the Garden of Eden. The cunning snake appears right about there. It cons the woman, who in turn convinces the man to transgress. This is what is referred in Christianity as natural sin. The author goes on to explain all this in good detail and continues to connect the dots. How is this connected to Christianity? Does it affect human life and how humans conduct themselves? You’ll have to grab the book to be enlightened.

The chapter I enjoyed reading the most was ‘We Do Not Wrestle Against Fresh and Blood'. This one is a deeper analysis of the battle against sin. This is closely followed by ‘Living in God’s Rest'. I wouldn’t want to give out any spoilers, but these two were major eye openers. The study questions at the end of every chapter were also a plus for me. They act as a kind of summary for each chapter and also a revision kit. The author also gives some of his experiences, especially those with his wife, that go a long way in explaining his concerns and concepts. The bible verses he uses are very relevant and insightful.

There is not much I disliked about the book. The only thing that’s off is that it’s target audience is largely Christian. Other religions can learn a whole lot from this piece but would pass probably due to the various biblical references and stories. The title itself might be another reason to pass.

The book’s editing is impeccable. I didn’t find errors in this one, which is quite rare. The writing style was simple and on-point. The above minus didn’t warrant the loss of a single star. Instead, the various likes and lack of errors led to an award of four out of four stars.

It’s very likely to assume this book is suitable for Christians only, but it’s also beneficial to readers from other religions. A Muslim can learn a lot about evil and injustice just from reading the book. Still, I would discourage anyone who shuns Christianity from picking up this one. Only open minded individuals will gain a perspective or two. Generally, anyone who wants to understand why there’s so much rot in our current society and a thing or two about redemption should grab this one.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Norwegian Wood
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
2022 Reading Goal: 70
2022 Goal Completion: 1%

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I don't like the premise of this book. I think that it blames women when men sin. Thank you so much for the review, however.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”