Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Review of We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz is a story filled with magic and adventure. The story begins with a vicious attack on Castle Hillport by a powerful mage. The story then shifts to a young man named Galen. He grew up in the Land of the Princes. A place that was filled with fighting and starvation. When Galen was given the opportunity to escape this life and begin a new life in Voulhire, he did not hesitate. His great uncle left Galen his property and his forge. While Galen was settling into his new life, evil forces were gaining power. The Riva Rohavi, a group of violent insurgents, may be gearing up for an attack. The citizens of Hillport were assured that the mage that attacked the castle was dead, but rumors are circulating that he may still be alive. Is the country of Voulhire really the peaceful and prosperous place that Galen first believed?

I enjoyed this story. The characters are very diverse. My favorite character is definitely Galen. He is a humble and kind man who appreciates everything that he has. I also like the many types of mages in this book. They have many different powers, such as causing hallucinations, controlling the elements, and even controlling the bodily functions of others. The author showed a lot of creativity when it came to different types of magic in this story. There are many interesting characters introduced throughout this book. Some of these characters are only briefly mentioned but seem potentially important later in the series.

The only minor complaint that I have about this book is that it moves at a slow pace. It begins with a violent attack that caught my attention, but it is a slow-building story. This has the potential to be an excellent series, but I recommend that you plan on investing the time to continue with the series. This is not a good stand-alone book. The author ends this story without wrapping anything up. You would have to read more of the books in the series to get a complete story. I personally plan on doing just that.

I look forward to reading the next book in the series. The author did a magnificent job of world-building. I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I did not find a single editing error, so this book was clearly professionally edited. It would seem that Galen will play an important role in this series, and I am excited to see where his story leads.

I recommend this book to people who enjoy fantasy stories. There are some violent scenes, mentions of sexual abuse, and some profanity. I would recommend this book to both mature young adults and adults that enjoy stories of kingdoms and magic.

We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
The Holy Grail
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-holy-grail.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by The Holy Grail »

Slow paces in books to me helps digest the narration better and get more intricate with the setting. I'm glad you loved the book just as I did anyway. Nice review!
Oreoluwa281
Currently Reading: David's Sling
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oreoluwa281.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by Oreoluwa281 »

The plot is very intriguing and I'm glad that I read this book, it was worth my time. This review sounds interesting thanks!
Ace John
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ace-john.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ace John »

I've enjoyed reading your review! You bring out your reading experience with this book so well that I also want to read it, too.
Jesus is Lord.
(Romans 10:9)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”