Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Agatha Bushguy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agatha-bushguy.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Kalayla

Post by Agatha Bushguy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kalayla is a book that explains the struggles that some interracial couples face and the confusion that their children are thrown into. One such interracial couple is Kalayla's parents. Her mom is white and her dad was black. Sure enough, with the close-mindedness of her mom's parents, the union between her mom and dad was not approved. But Kalayla doesn't know any of this. To her, her mother's whole family died in a fire. Now, where did she information from? And how will she react when the truth comes to light? How will Lena, the old woman who owns the complex where Kalayla lives, manage to bring Kalayla out of the darkness that the old lady predicts that she will plunge herself into because of her mother's inability to be a proper parent and the several lies? Lena sees Kalayla's case as a chance to redeem her soul and eradicate the guilt that she has felt for years about her own failed parenting when she was younger.

Homophobia, racism, parenting, love, hope, and family are some of the themes I saw in Kalayla. I believe that Jeannie Nicholas' ultimate goal when she wrote Kalayla was to educate her readers on the need to discard the mentalities that promote hate and encourage love.

I did not dislike anything in this book. In fact, I love it so much that I would gladly recommend that it be read in schools because of the lessons that it teaches. Also, it doesn't only teach but also entertains its readers. There is a healthy amount of humor to get readers laughing once or twice. I did several times. As much as it does these things, the feature that I liked the most is the lessons that it teaches about homophobia. It shows how close-minded the world is and how the lives of gay people are endangered just because they exist. Although this did not take center stage in the story, the little light that was shone on this issue is enough to teach readers how harmful homophobia is.

Kalayla deserves the highest rating that exists because it is a book that combines education and sensitization with entertainment so flawlessly that readers will not get bored reading it. It is also perfectly edited (because I did not see any errors). True to my words, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. If I could, I would give it awards that are more than words.

This book will appeal to readers interested in books that depict people facing some of the key difficulties that minorities and people of color face in our world today. The injustice that played out in the novel may trigger some people, but there is no denying the fact that amidst all of that anger, readers will be able to crack a smile or two.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Finn Justin Charles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-finn-justin-charles.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Finn Justin Charles »

Kalayla is a book that would draw out the cry baby in anyone. The reality of the characters was so sad and apt. I cannot wish to be in any of their shoes, but I am glad that the author decided to write this story this way. Its message will ring in your heart and minds for as long as you live.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’ve read several reviews of this book and humor was never mentioned. To me, the main theme is lies, and the damage they cause. Whether they are old or new, they are always hurtful when discovered.
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83855
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1143%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

This is an amazing story about Three family one french, Irish and black this book made me think about my life
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Kalayla is a book that can be recommended to anyone. All the characters are authentic. Excellent review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”