Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Pastoring is Not What You Think, Elijah Oladimeji used the fictitious story of Pastor Job to let the reader in on the many daunting challenges men of God face on a daily basis. They hardly open up to anyone about these challenges, but at the same time, they help people solve their problems.

At the beginning of the book, Pastor Job had complaints about the gun violence in America and the complacency of the government towards the situation. Later, the reader learns that he is a pastor facing many challenges that he only had faith that God would help him solve. His wife, Lorraine, wanted a new car. He always asked her to exercise enough faith, and she would receive it. Lorraine was not inclined to the faith talk. The church was in a rented space, and the landlord was breathing down the neck of the pastor. He also promised his mother-in-law a new car. In the middle of all these, he only had faith that there was nothing God could not do.

What I love the most about the book is the honesty of the author. As a pastor, he clearly understands things in the ministry from a place of experience. I love the author's writing style; he used the riveting story of Pastor Job to talk about the not-so-glamorous part of the lives of pastors. It's unfair that the media and individuals in social spaces hardly ever speak about those parts of their lives. We always condemn pastors living in affluence, but we fail to acknowledge that some other pastors find it extremely difficult to provide for their families. I also love that the book has an element of humour to it. I laughed a couple of times while reading the book. The funniest part was the back and forth between Pastor Job and his landlord. Also, I found his responses to reminders of unfulfilled promises very funny.

The book has no negatives to it. I love how concise it is. I also love that the author's points were put forward in the simplest way possible. The diction was easy to go along with. Readers of all ages will not have any difficulty reading this book.

The book was exceptionally well edited. I didn't encounter any spelling or grammatical errors in it. Owing to the excellent editing of the book and the absence of any negative points, I'll gladly rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't deduct a star because I really enjoyed the book.

I recommend the book to readers who love Christian fiction books. Also, if you want a balanced perspective on the lives of men of God, this book is for you. Readers with other religious beliefs aside from Christianity can learn a lot from the book, but Christians will enjoy it the most because it's basically about pastors.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

So true, pastors go through a lot of stress but they are usually unable to tell anyone about it.
Nice review.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I have also read the book and found it very inspiring and thoughtful just as it exposes the real-life experiences of pastors in their households and ministries. Great review!
Thembeka Madlala
Currently Reading: Why Doesn't God Speak to Me?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: laptop

Post by Thembeka Madlala »

Sounds interesting, this is true, Christian leaders also go through a lots. what I love the most about them is that they continue to trust in God even when things are falling apart.
Kennedy NC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kennedy-nc.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kennedy NC »

This looks like quite an intriguing book. Great review.
Ekezie1998
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekezie1998.html
Latest Review: life lessons of wayne by shawn wayne swearingen

Post by Ekezie1998 »

Indeed Pastors do go through a lot we know nothing about. Great review here
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

Christian lovers of humor will surely enjoy this book. Thanks for your great review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I admire the courage of the author to write about these topics. Great review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It is true that being a pastor is a difficult life. A friend of mine was the wife of a pastor, and we often discussed the difficulties of his job before they moved away. Your review makes this seem like a book I would enjoy reading. Excellent job!
Lucy Vera
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucy-v.html
Latest Review: Letter of Paul to the Americans by Nicholas F Mazza

Post by Lucy Vera »

I love reading christian fiction book and I am really looking forward to reading this one. Thank you for your lovely review.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Getting to see behind the scenes of a pastors life seems interesting. And the added humor is a huge bonus. Great review!
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

The book's theme is very different and interesting. I haven't come across something like this in a long time. Lovely review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”