Review of In the Land of Myth

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Review of In the Land of Myth

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

[Following is a volunteer review of "In the Land of Myth" by Bernard Kuckuck.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

For me to read a book of poetry, the writing must be excellent, or, at least, feature a topic of interest. In the Land of Myth by Bernard Kuckuck, not only does the poetry feature Greek mythology, a favorite subject of mine, but the book also offers excellent writing.

The focus of Kuckuck’s book is devoted to the mythical poet Orpheus. In the ancient story, Orpheus’ wife, Eurydice, meets an untimely death. Afterward, Orpheus roams the countryside lamenting the loss, often raising his voice in song to express his sorrow, but just as often praising the beauty of nature or heralding the heroes of ancient myth. The author presents the poems in two formats. The first is as if the verses are sung directly from the mouth of Orpheus. You can almost hear the poet sing his songs, self-accompanied on the lyre. The other is in the author's voice as he comments on the poet’s travels, mourning his lost love.

Kuckuck has written two hundred twenty, fourteen-line sonnets. Some contain a rhyme scheme, while others do not. I felt that the non-rhyming poems worked much better as the rhyme scheme on others felt forced. The poor rhyming of some of the verses was the only thing I disliked about the book. Interestingly, several of the poems are presented in languages other than English with English translations submitted for each. I know a smattering of French and felt that the rhyme schemes worked better in French than in English. These were extraordinarily musical.

I liked most how Kuckuck masterfully employs memorable images of the Greek landscape into the verses, accentuating the constant flow of nature that permeates In the Land of Myth. Water is a principal motif. The author beautifully captures the brilliance of sunlight on the Aegean, the movement of various creeks, and the power of turbulent streams. Rather than trying to understand the gods by gazing upward at the night's sky, the author writes in Sonnet CLX that it is "Better to rest under a flowering tree, / at midday, by a cooling source, / follow the brooklet to the river of dreams – / coursing into the deep waters of bliss." Various mythical water creatures populate the poems to support the water theme: nereids, naiads, river nymphs, and sirens, the "divas of the roaring seas." The poems are also rife with images of flora, including hyacinth, roses, lilacs, and lilies, to the point when you can almost smell the flowery fragrances while reading. Much of the book cites the changing of seasons, particularly the approach of winter, a movement from light to darkness, in which “the sun has lost its healing power,” accentuating the poet’s sorrow and persistent longing for his lost love.

I also enjoyed how Kuckuck integrates heroes from Greek legend into the writing, including Odysseus, Achilles, Herakles, Theseus, Agamemnon, and Menelaus. There were also references to Orpheus's ultimate demise, torn to shreds by furious Maenads during a Bacchanalian orgy. Fortunately, I am very familiar with the texts and myths from which these figures were drawn, so it was easy and enjoyable for me to understand the references when made. However, others reading these poems may need to research certain characters and events to understand the poetry better.

One of my favorite poems was Sonnet XXIV, a lovely poem with vivid imagery presented in a single sentence that I read multiple times, in which "…tempting river sirens / in the dimming twilight / illuminate their singing / and invent new metaphors..." Many of Kuckuk’s sonnets, such as this, are not only beautiful but highly thought-provoking. Additionally, the author captures the true nature of Orpheus and others who wielded a poetic pen in Sonnet CLXXXIII. He writes: “Poets, like falcons, are required to soar...”

In the Land of Myth is a professionally edited work of beauty; I found only one typo in the entire work. Therefore, I gladly award Bernard Kuckuk’s book of verses a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is a wonderful book that provided a terrific diversion from the difficulties we are currently facing in the world. Having spent some time of my youth wandering about the Greek islands, it was a pleasure to experience the brilliant sun on the Aegean once again, the fragrances of the countryside and the words of the poet finding those “…slivers of hope for relevant verse, songs to console the suffering Earth.” Lovers of Greek mythology and classical poetry will thoroughly enjoy it.

In the Land of Myth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”