Review of There and Back There Again

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Review of There and Back There Again

Post by Rishi_reviews »

[Following is a volunteer review of "There and Back There Again" by Andrew Alsup.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever read a book that just messed up with your mind? Like you understand it but you don't. You know you want to understand it, and you try your best, but in the end, it's just something you can't get the hang of. There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup is a book which I found quite interesting, and I don't say this for a lot of books, I always say something like, it had a great plot, or its storyline was amazing, but there's something about this book that seems really interesting to me, it's really hard to comprehend.

I'll begin by saying that this is the first book I've read that I don't think I'll be able to summarize properly. I think the things said in the book are Andrew's or Andy's thoughts. His thoughts tell him that the whole world is against him, nobody likes him or wants him in their life, except some of his friends and family. The whole world is accusing him of something he has done, something terrible which is unforgivable. It has a weird vibe to it, like you're going into someone's mind and their brain is talking to you, telling you what it has learned from all the experiences. A line of the book which really felt relatable to me was 'Ice water in my veins, I don't miss people, I cherish their memories. Maybe we should just be happy with that.' It really made me think about the things that I've been through since last year, and how I've lost so much yet gained so much at the same time.

I enjoyed the book a lot. It made me think about so many things in my life that I don't generally do. I thought about love, hatred, fear, connection, and many more things. With every page it got even more interesting. It's like Andrew's is fighting in a battle in which he knows he's going to win, and the other party knows this as well, then again they're fighting him just to trouble him and make his life even more miserable.

At some points this book felt really relatable to me. Like at a time Andrew said that everyone was looking for him, but no one tried to contact him, give him a call, a message, a fax, anything, even though they all had his contact details. Even though he had told them what he was doing, where he was going, they didn't look into that, and they just continued to trouble him and his family as much as they could. I won't go into much detail now cause I want you to figure it out yourself.

The language of the book is pretty easy to understand, and it didn't have any grammatical mistakes or typos in it, so that's something that I really liked. It has minor profanity, but it's repeated quite frequently, so if you don't like that language then you can just skip it. The author has done a great job in providing us with a piece of art which is pretty hard to comprehend, yet it's more interesting than any normal book.

I did not find anything to dislike in this book, so I would give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, as I really enjoyed reading it, and it added value to my life as well. I would recommend this book to people who like the thriller genre. Although it's a non-fiction book, it's not presented like a biography. People who are into psychology will also find it quite intriguing.

There and Back There Again
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Turns Over A New Leaf by AC Michael

Post by zainherb »

I can imagine just how relatable the book is. Many people feel lonely and like the world is against them especially when things are not going well for them or when they aren't on good terms with those in their lives.
:techie-reference:
Omega_01
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omega-01.html
Latest Review: The Circuitous Route by Grant Sutor Vuille

Post by Omega_01 »

I don't like books that are hard to comprehend and that will make me steer clear of this book. However, I enjoyed reading your review. Well done!
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: Ultramarine by Pat Jourdan

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I enjoyed reading your review a lot. There are indeed books that totally mess up with your mind. You have definitely increased my intrigue with your review. I would love to read the story of Andrew. I believe there’d be something to learn.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”