Review of The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Review of The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)

Post by Rizki Pradana »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy by Claire Youmans is a children's book that is set around Azuki and Shota. They had to live with their uncle after their parents were murdered. These siblings weren't ordinary humans because they could transform their bodies into birds. Thus, they had to hide the truth from humans. They made a friend with a dragon princess who had similar traits to them. One day, Azuki was getting sick and it wasn't an ordinary illness. Shota had to find the legendary doctor because the doctors didn't know the cause and treatment of Azuki's illness. This is the story of Shota's journey to find the legendary doctor who could make his sister recover from a mysterious illness. The story is set in Japan during the Meiji era.

I loved the author's writing style. The storyline was really good and the characters were developed as well. For instance, it was impressive how Azuki and Shota were still wanting to live with humans, even though they weren't ordinary humans. This book was easy to read and understand, and it was hard for me to stop reading this book, even though this novel was written to entertain the kids. I love Shota's personality. Shota's optimistic character, which seems contrasting to his situation, made the story much more enjoyable. Also, I loved how the author mentioned the importance of communication when it comes to solving problems because it would be a good lesson for children.

The book teaches us about friendship, love, and mutual understanding. For instance, their uncle was one of the unique characters because he was teaching the siblings about human ways while not forgetting their animalistic nature.

Overall, I enjoyed reading the story because there was nothing I dislike about this book. There were not many errors that could hinder reading the story, which means this book has been professionally edited. On that note, I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to children who are interested in fantasy genres. Also, this book would make a good read in general because there were a lot of morals that could be found in the story.

The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”