Review of Beneath the Muscle

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Review of Beneath the Muscle

Post by Brett Linette »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers is a book about knowing who you are and getting what you want.

Lauren takes us back to her childhood, where she struggles to excel in sports due to having poor vision. It's her inability to keep up with the athleticism of her peers that makes her alien to them. With the help of prescription glasses, she starts to advance in sports, but because her and her peers had already gotten off on the wrong foot, they continue to be enemies.

These aren't the only enemies she's ever going to make.

Entering the male-dominated sport that is bodybuilding, Lauren is bombarded with enemies, but it's the resilience she developed as a child that makes her the superstar she is today.

There's a lot to like about Lauren. I like how she entered her first bodybuilding competition at 40 years old and won. I also like how she entered that same competition 10 years later and won again. Despite having won multiple bodybuilding competitions against contenders half her age, I think it's safe to say that she should have lost in theory, given how old she was. Seeing that no one would've predicted her outcome, it just goes to show you that you can't let someone else predict your outcome, that your outcome is yours to determine.

Contrary to popular belief, some of us only get stronger with age. Going into this book, I had a feeling that Lauren was going to be one of those lucky few. What I didn't know was that any of us can be one of those few and that the best years of our lives don't have to be behind us, no matter how old we are.

As amazing as all of the stories that are told in this book are, a lot of them are either dragged out or glossed over. I felt the one about her surfing could've been shorter, as opposed to the one about her dating a woman with children, which I felt could've been longer.

The photos in this book are a nice touch to the stories. There's one photo of her where she's holding an assortment of medals. That one is a keeper.

Despite how nonchalant the writing is, the book is professionally edited.

All things considered, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Regardless of how long or short the stories are, they're good stories, too good to deduct a star from. I'd recommend this book to those with a dream and a desire to make said dream come true; this book is a road map to doing just that.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
โžท
๐“Ÿ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ฎ
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

Laurens story sounds inspiring. There's nothing better than proving that you can do what others think you cant. Thanks for a great review! :D
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

This book will give us a look how women struggle when they love something that is stereotypically dominated by the males, in the author's case, bodybuilding. Thank you so much for your review!
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I love how this book sends an inspiring message. The best part of your life does not have to be behind you .
I loved reading your review too.
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Rashawn Carter wrote: โ†‘05 Dec 2021, 09:18 Laurens story sounds inspiring. There's nothing better than proving that you can do what others think you cant. Thanks for a great review! :D
Lauren makes a point to prove people wrong. If you like that, you should love this book.

Thank you for the comment!
Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

Hyacinth Bella wrote: โ†‘06 Dec 2021, 14:39 This book will give us a look how women struggle when they love something that is stereotypically dominated by the males, in the author's case, bodybuilding. Thank you so much for your review!
That's double standards for you.

Brett Linette
Currently Reading:

Post by Brett Linette »

zainherb wrote: โ†‘07 Dec 2021, 04:25 I love how this book sends an inspiring message. The best part of your life does not have to be behind you .
I loved reading your review too.
If you like this review, you should love the book.

Return to โ€œVolunteer Reviewsโ€