Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eden Pela
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eden-pela.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Review of Dread Tribunal of Last Resort

Post by Eden Pela »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dread Tribunal of Last Resort" by Brian Kaufman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

During the year, 1861, Decker Brown, a young, virtuous, and brilliant man returns to his home in Richmond, Virginia. After spending two years of apprenticeship in Boston with his Uncle Oskar, he learns a great deal about Rocketry. Decker, therefore, sets home with the hopes of wedding his lover, Paula Crane, and building a business in illuminations (fireworks) factory with his father.

To his disadvantage, comes the callous jaws of the American Civil war. As a Son of the South, Decker is made to choose between fighting for Slavery, a cause for which he is against, or betray his father, Paula, and his estate. This war soon shakes the foundation underneath every character's foot and most characters are set down an unusual path. No one is left untouched by the effects of this war. One is left to wonder; will young Decker decide to fight for the Union army and betray his estate? Or will he go against his own beliefs and fight for Virginia? And what fate lies ahead for both himself and his loved ones in this aftermath war?

Dread Tribunal of last Resort by Brian Kaufman is a brilliant, well-researched, Historical fiction novel. A great deal of detail is depicted in this book. Kaufman takes readers on an intricate visual of the harsh reality of war and combat. The heavy imagery of violence and death is something to look out for. Evidently proving the in-depth knowledge and research, Brian Kaufman reveals the normalcies of 19th century America; roles of women during that time, use of modern technology in combat, and the view of African Americans of that era.
As a lover of Historical Fiction, I sincerely enjoyed this book. I got to learn a great deal about the American Civil War than I had. As the book touches sensitive topics of Slavery, war, and love, it also shows the other unpopularly representational aspects of the Civil War. Through the eyes of characters such as Paula Crane, readers can view, the atmosphere and remains of the post-war, not just on the soldiers, but also on regular civilians. I admired the author’s character development and use of clever dialogue.

Another thing to admire is the realism of the plot. The outcomes are not sugarcoated. It is a mere depiction of life and how it has a way of playing out. I have no dislikes about this novel, asides from the occasional mild profanity and a few other crude comments, none too heavy to make me dislike the book.

Drenched with rare wit and brilliant humor, this book is additionally very well edited as I found only a few grammatical errors, none too noticeable and instances of mild profanity, therefore, I rate this book a 4 out of 4.

I recommend this novel for adult lovers of Historical fiction and give a warning to readers who might be sensitive to gruesome imagery.

Dread Tribunal of Last Resort
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

Thank you for the detailed review. This book sounds compelling. I enjoy historical fiction and this book sounds like it has so many themes in it, including slavery and love, loyalty, and conflict. It sounds like the main character, Decker, has many difficult decisions to make.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Eden Pela
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eden-pela.html

Post by Eden Pela »

Susan Gibbs wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 13:58 Thank you for the detailed review. This book sounds compelling. I enjoy historical fiction and this book sounds like it has so many themes in it, including slavery and love, loyalty, and conflict. It sounds like the main character, Decker, has many difficult decisions to make.
Thank you so much for your comment on my review. I'm happy you enjoyed my summary :mrgreen:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”