Review of The Freedom Building

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isabel Gringeri
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabel-gringeri.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Review of The Freedom Building

Post by Isabel Gringeri »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you woke up from a car crash and your life was not the way you left it? Well, Martin Kendall's The Freedom Building shows just that. John Gowan, a little-known architect, hears about the bombing of the Zenith building, a large clothing company in John's town. After this tragedy, John visits the building site to survey the size, for he wants to be the next architect for the Zenith building. John knows that he would become so famous if he was able to design the next building. As John drives away from the site, he can think of nothing else, and his car crashes, and his life is turned sideways. When he wakes up, not only is he the architect for the Zenith building, but he is three years older and unable to remember how he designed the building or anything after the car crash.

With every twist and turn, The Freedom Building kept up the fast-paced energy from beginning to end. Kendall does an amazing job with his sophisticated writing and superb editing. Not only was the book easy to follow, but Kendall’s details keep the readers intrigued with the adventure that is John's new life. I give this book a 4 out of 4 for the amazing story that intertwines hopes and dreams with failure and fear. The contrasting ideas that John Gowan possesses in his adventures show that even in fear, one can attain what one always dreamed.

From the story down to the word choice, I did not want to put this book down. If there were anything I would suggest, it would be to make the end of the book more fluid. The beginning of The Freedom Building starts very smoothly, and every detail is easy to follow, even though the story is complex. However, as the book continues, it gets harder and harder to follow. Although it is apparent that John Gowan does not remember the past, it is the transitions that make the story confusing. Instead of easily moving from one place to another, when John talks to his ex-wife at the end of the book, I had a hard time following the events leading up to her coming to his house. But other than that one part, the plot points were very easy to understand.

As someone who enjoys reading all types of books, this book falls perfectly in realistic fiction and science fiction. I would recommend this to anyone interested in light science fiction reading, for the topic of John's mysterious amnesia is more connected to science fiction than realistic fiction. The mystery of John's life linked with his inability to put his finger on how he designed the building, leaves the reader gasping for more.

When I first started reading Kendall's The Freedom Building, I was skeptical. I did not think that this would be a book that I would enjoy. But once I continued, I could see the elaborately detailed tale that Kendall crafted about John Gowan's life. He intertwines controversial politics because of the terrorist attack that was said to have destroyed the Zenith building, and it makes the reader question how politics and religion, specifically Islam and the Israeli government. Even though the book only mentions these politics lightly, they can still weigh large in the reader’s mind. Not only does the reader think about politics, but within John's transformation, it makes the reader think about how failure and trauma can create the most beautiful, unexpected creations.

The Freedom Building
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”