Review of Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibabcock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibabcock.html
Latest Review: House of Dads by June Gillam

Review of Twisted Threads

Post by Kibabcock »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren is an intriguing murder mystery novel about a young woman named Akira Sato. Akira was once a geisha but is now a highly trained, highly skilled, professional assassin. Twisted Threads is full of romance, mystery, and suspense. There are many twists during the story that keeps the reader intrigued. The beginning will have you hooked and wanting more.

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren begins with Akira Sato fighting for her freedom. Akira is a trained professional assassin for Kaito Mitsui, who is the leader of the Zakura-kai. The Zakura-kai is Japan’s notorious yakuza family. Shortly into the story, you realize that Akira is beginning to dislike killing people. Akira soon feels like she is losing her sanity. The final mission she is assigned will end her obligation to Kaito, removing her from his control. She is to identify the person responsible for murdering Kaito’s sister, Keiko. To do so, Akira must go on a Caribbean Cruise ship. Once Akira has boarded the cruise ship, she is to identify and eliminate Keiko’s murderer. During the cruise, many unexpected and strange events happen, and the body count begins to rise. Akira meets a traveler named Devon Lyons, who happens to be traveling with his aunt and uncle.

Twisted Threads is action-packed and full of suspense, unpredictability, and mystery. You will keep turning the pages because you never know what will happen next. I enjoyed reading about Akira’s training and fighting with her katana. McFarren describes in great detail what Akira is going through to survive. The fight scenes were very detailed, showing the reader how lethal Akira was. McFarren uses Japanese to give the reader a sense of authenticity during interactions between characters.

I thought the middle of the book dragged out compared to the beginning and the end. Because of this, I found myself putting the book down and not eager to pick it up and continue reading. However, I am glad I did because the ending was unbelievable. In the end, I was rapidly flipping pages because I could not wait to see what happened. I was surprised by the ending and loved every detail that McFarren provided to answer my unanswered questions.

Twisted Threads is well-researched, professionally edited, and contains no errors. McFarren does a great job, and I am happy to give Twisted Threads a 4 out of 4 stars because it kept me interested. Even though the middle slowed down, I still had answers I needed to obtain for my questions. McFarren’s attention to detail gives the reader a sense of authenticity. Twisted Threads will captivate any reader who enjoys a good murder mystery, action thriller, or suspense novel. There were some instances of profanity but nothing that would make it obscene. However, there are explicitly detailed sex scenes with references to sadomasochism. Because of this, I would recommend this book for adults.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rashawn Carter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashawn-carter.html
Latest Review: Sahar's Creation by Julie Bergman

Post by Rashawn Carter »

I've also read this novel. But it left me unfulfilled. I'm glad that could enjoy the novel more than I did. Great review! :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”