Review of SandPeople

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Booklover Becca
2021 Reading Goal: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover-becca.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Review of SandPeople

Post by Booklover Becca »

[Following is a volunteer review of "SandPeople" by Cheryl Kerr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

SandPeople, by Cheryl Kerr, is a lovely children’s book that deals with adventure and new friends in the midst of loneliness and homesickness. Lea, a young girl, finds out her parents are separating and is sent to spend the summer with her artist aunt who Lea knows nearly nothing about. During this time, Lea observes a girl about her own age on the beach who Lea believes to be a ghost. When the girl disappears and the sand clears, she leaves behind little sand figures and Lea strives to find out more about this girl and her sand people. Along the way, Lea makes friends, gains new experiences, and allows her curiosity to lead her on an adventure in research.

There are so many positives I found in this book. It is so important for a children’s book to capture the attention and imagination of young readers and I believe this book does that very well. From the first page of the prologue, the scenery was well-written. I could easily imagine being on the big, creaking ship and I could feel all the uncertainties of the character writing them.

The author includes some difficult topics for the young characters to face and I believe Kerr does so brilliantly. Lea deals first with her parents announcing their separation and then immediately finds out she will spend the summer away from her parents, little brother, and best friend. Subsequently, she deals with loneliness and homesickness while also learning how to interact and communicate with an aunt she barely knows. Through all this, she begins to understand other characters’ perspectives and gain empathy for their situations.

The only negative aspect I found is that I would like a bit more from Greta’s perspective. This character is only in the prologue and one other passage, but her personal story is so important to the overall story. I think with a bit more of Greta sprinkled throughout, the readers would get a full view of her experiences.

I found very few grammatical errors and I believe this book has been professionally edited. Due to this and the overall positives of the story and writing, I rate this book four out of four stars.

There was no inappropriate content or language and, therefore, I recommend this book to any young readers who are looking to broaden their imagination of what’s possible and learn how to deal with some tough situations.

SandPeople
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”