Review of Waterworks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Waterworks

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Waterworks" by Jack Winnick.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you didn’t have clean water to drink when you turned on the tap? What if a drink could kill you? Unfortunately, Los Angeles residents are learning this first-hand. Their water supply has been poisoned with polonium, a short-lived radioactive element not found in nature, by an Islamic terrorist group. The terrorist’s objective is to destroy American Jews. What will happen if they are successful? In Waterworks by Jack Winnick, the agentsin charge are deep undercover in Iran and find out some very interesting things. Mainly when and where an attack is imminent. When eventually they are caught it seems that all is lost. What do you think? You’ll have to read to find out for sure.

I like that Lara and Uri are willing to step in and do what they can to save Western populations from terrorists. Sometimes this even involves putting their own personal plans, like starting a family, on hold. I am also intrigued by the fact that they can keep their emotions from showing at inappropriate times, such as when dealing with unappealing actions by the enemy.

I don’t like that there are no more Lara and Uri novels. I have become rather attached to them and their ways of doing things. I also didn’t like that there seemed to be no resolution to the primary attack on the water treatment plant in Sylmar, CA. The situation was apparently resolved with no discussion or thought given to the reader. Maybe Mr. Winnick can address this issue.

I would recommend this novel to lovers of suspense, first of all. It is also recommended to those who like to read about the culture of another country. Even though that is not the focus of this book, enough details are given by the author to make this part interesting. Many of the characters in this novel will be immediately recognized by anyone that read the previous installments in the series. Please note that this sequel does not require readers to be familiar with the previous books in the series. The author provides enough information for this installment to be read on its own.

I give this novel a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I only found one error in the entire book, and that was a simple punctuation mistake, easily overlooked. There were no sex scenes in the book, either. I can find no reason not to assume that it was professionally edited and I cannot find a single reason to deduct a star from my rating. This entire series has given me an appreciation for books about fighting terrorism.

Waterworks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
katerina_12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katerina-12.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by katerina_12 »

The book seems interesting. I love books on similar topic. Thanks for detailed review!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

katerina_12 wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 12:21 The book seems interesting. I love books on similar topic. Thanks for detailed review!
I’ve found others that cover the same! In fact, I’m reading one now. :techie-studyingbrown:
Rupali Mishra
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rupali-mishra.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by Rupali Mishra »

I appreciate the thorough evaluation.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”