Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lumenchristi
2021 Reading Goal: 2
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lumenchristi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by lumenchristi »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji is exciting writing that examines the different aspects of struggles faced by the ministers beyond what we see on the surface. The book is centred on how pastors face different issues per time, ranging from family to finance and those they randomly meet daily.

The book has a few characters, but the story revolves around Pastor Job. Pastor Job is a pastor who believes everything is possible by faith. His interactions with his wife show that evidently. On the other hand, Pastor Job’s wife is a natural person who prefers to put an actual timing to what she is doing and all she is looking forward to or expecting. However, the book addresses subtly the conflict between living a faith life and living for the reality of things.

The main character of the book, Pastor Job, also happens to be a passionate man. He is always observed thinking out loud and talking to himself. This behaviour gave his wife concerns and, in a way, portrayed how people might assume pastors have mental struggles. His wife had to set him up with his therapist to be sure he was alright mentally. Apart from this, he is also a very kind person despite life being unfair to him. This book made it evident that the time and attention pastors give to one is a product of their selflessness; for example, Pastor Job still went all the way to help share emails to help someone in need despite his struggles to pay up his rent at a time.

I like how the author represents the reality of pastoral life in this book. The character development did not take much space, but it was clear enough for anyone to follow. I like how the author chips in some critical issues in our society in the book, for instance, marital issues between families and prosperity issues in the church. Although there are many things to learn from this book, it should be noted that it is purely Christian fiction as even some biblical passages were quoted in it. The fact that there are scriptural backings to major issues discussed is also one of the things I enjoyed while reading the book.

I recommend this book to everyone who loves Christian fiction and those concerned about what the ministry entails in reality. The author has done an excellent job and though, I found just one error, the work is commendable. There is nothing that I dislike about the book. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”