Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stellah Chege
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellah-chege.html
Latest Review: Addressing Systemic Discrimination by Reframing the Problem by Dr. Frank L. Douglas

Review of Pastoring is Not What You Think

Post by Stellah Chege »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Pastoring is Not What You Think" by Elijah Oladimeji.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When we think of pastors or spiritual leaders, it is easy to perceive that they live rosy lives and have it all going well for them. Unbeknownst to many, pastors are people just like you and me. They face challenges, and simply because they pray for others and teach on faith does not mean that they are not grappling with a load of issues. Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji demystifies these misconceptions through a pastor called Pastor Job.

Pastor Job is a man of faith and a spiritual leader at his church. He has prayed for people, and miracles happen. But things seem to be working against him. From rent arrears to a demanding wife, he barely holds onto faith. Will he be able to stay strong despite all the odds against him? Will he be able to rise above the waves and be an example to his followers? Well, you need to read the book to find out.

I loved how this book has been written in an easy to grasp language. The stories flow and are intentional in trying to show the complexity of the life of a pastor. I also loved that the author has quoted enough scriptures. It is what I usually expect when reading any Christian-based book. They were neither too much nor too adequate.

I did not love the lengthy scenes of this book. It is not fast-paced and may continue about something for a while. For example, the pastor's sermons were at times painfully long. I feel the author may have spread out the message in snippets through the book. Their length made me imagine the lengthy church sermons that sometimes take too long. If the author corrects that, it would be a perfect book.

I found very few errors in the book, and I believe that it was well edited. They are not enough to deduct a point.

Due to the lengthy sermons and scenes, I had to, unfortunately, deduct one star. I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to Christians who love Christian literature. It may shed light on the plight of spiritual leaders and may help them understand them a little better. It will also help them pray for leaders since they are just as human as the rest of us.

Pastoring is Not What You Think
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”