Review of The Freedom Building

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of The Freedom Building

Post by Amy Luman »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What does freedom mean to you? It means different things to different people. For Pete Williams, junior partner in Gowan Partnerships, it means the traditional things, doing what you want and making your own decisions. For Mr. Wilkinson, CEO of Zenith Star Holdings, it means making a profit. For Janice, John Gowan’s (senior partner in Gowan Partnerships) personal assistant, and Hillary, John’s ex-wife, it means leaving behind a useless husband. What, though, does it mean to John?

Throughout The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall, we see John trying to grasp his purpose. At first, he thought that it was about starting a new business in Toxon and not Blanworth, but it wasn’t. Then he thought that maybe designing and building a new house in the country would cure the problem, but it didn’t. It was not having an affair with Janice, either. So, what was it? Read and find out.

This novel is a good read about the struggles of one man. John is trying to get his memory back after he wakes up in the hospital recovering from what he thinks was a car crash on a winding road. The doctor, however, informs him that he fell while checking on a piece of ground the day before construction was to begin on the biggest and most magnificent building he has designed in his life. He can't remember the three and a half years between the car crash and waking up. Did he really design the building, or was it Pete?

I really liked the fact that John was shown as a real person with real problems. He seemed to have difficulty getting along with other people. His opinions were sometimes hard to understand, but he was not willing to compromise on what he thought were important issues. I also liked that he had real friends, or at least one. Sometimes Janice did not comprehend his thoughts, but she always stood by him. Everyone needs a friend like that.

I did not like Pete’s attitude. He seemed to think that he was better than everyone else when, clearly, he was not. Under the guise of trying to keep the peace with everyone, he upheld the interests of Zenith while ignoring those of John, his business partner and supposed friend. I was also unhappy with the way that Mann and Mr. Wilkinson were portrayed. We see them as typical businessmen, concerned with profit above all else. I think that Mr. Kendall could have given them some sort of social conscience.

I only found one error in the entire book and it was where the word used was a homophone for what was meant. It would have been difficult to notice if you weren’t looking for errors. I have no reason to believe that it was not professionally edited. There was very light profanity and only one scene where there was any kind of sex.

I recommend this novel to those who are interested in mysteries and a little dark humor. Be warned, however, that some of the scenes are a little hard to understand. I liked this book as a whole, though, and there were very few errors, so I will give it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Freedom Building
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

A mystery book with depth, characters looking towards themselves for resolution, I'm in.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Thank you for a great review!
What does freedom mean to John? that's what I want to know. You have piqued my interest and I am adding it to my want to read shelf.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I read this book and loved it. I liked how John was able to pull off the deception about this amnesia. Thanks for the great review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”