Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review of Kalayla

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Some friendships are unexpected, and that's precisely what makes them beautiful.Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas describes one of those friendships. The novel is about the interaction between an old lady permanently dressed in black as if she was ready to attend a funeral and a girl with a mouth too big for her own sake, taking care of each other. I have to say it was very heart-warming to read.

Kalayla is a strong-willed, clever, independent girl on the edge of becoming a woman. Maureen, her mom, is a wonderful woman that just like many others, does her best to give a good life to her daughter after her father's death. Lana is a lonely old lady trying to overcome the loss of her children. Living in the same building, they develop a beautiful family-like friendship that overcomes generational barriers.

What I liked the most about the book was the character development. The main characters have solid background stories and defined personalities. It is easy to empathize with them. First-person is not my favorite narrative style. However, I admit that in this case, it was well delivered. The descriptions are detailed but not overwhelming. That balance is hard to achieve and worth mentioning.

There is nothing I didn't like about the story. However, the book contains a few racial stereotypes that made me feel slightly uncomfortable. The book seems professionally edited, and I didn't find any typos. I found some minor editorial errors, but they were not distracting enough to become annoying. Most of them were just borderline errors. A new editorial round could correct them. I can't find any valid reason to take a star from the general rating, so I will gladly grant four out of four stars to this book.

As for trigger warnings, the book contains violence and racism. Unresolved grief and death are also present. While I don't consider homosexuality an issue, I know some people might still consider it a delicate subject. If any of the previously mentioned content triggers you, you might want to skip the book. The story contains minor profanity, but nothing particularly offensive. As I said, sexuality is mentioned, but there are no explicit sexual scenes.

I recommend this book to people that enjoy stories touching family issues and deep relationships. If you like reading about strong, independent women, this is the right book for you as well. Because of the edgy subjects, teenagers might need adult approval before reading it. Due to the close view to different models of parenthood and familiar issues, parents could find the story refreshing.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

Kalayla is quite an interesting book with an amazing storyline. Though, I am of the view that the author didn't address the issue of racism to my satisfaction. Thank you for an exciting review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I love reading about unexpected friendships :) I would love to give this one a try. Thanks for this wonderful review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Family drama is not my kind of stuff but I keep on reading terrific reviews about this novel, so it must be really good. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by J Edwards »

I have just finished reviewing this book and I like your perspective of the same, especially your summary of the book. It is quite an interesting book with many life lessons we can learn. Thanks for your great review.
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Bradley Shelvie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bradley-shelvie.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Bradley Shelvie »

I loved this book too, and I loved reading through your review. Thank you for the review.
Do the things you love and you'll love the things you do :techie-studyingbrown:
Timothee22
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: David Schwarzkopf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothee22.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 248826

Post by Timothee22 »

Omega_01 wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 15:55 Kalayla is quite an interesting book with an amazing storyline. Though, I am of the view that the author didn't address the issue of racism to my satisfaction. Thank you for an exciting review.
I agree with this too. Especially at the end of the book. I was not very satisfied, but I have got to give Jeannie Nicholas an A for effort.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

What a wonderful woman, all mothers should read this book. Great review.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

Your family can despise you, but strangers can love you—this book was mind-blowing. Your review is amazing.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”