Review of Kalayla

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J Edwards
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading: Global Business in the Age of Transformation
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-edwards.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review of Kalayla

Post by J Edwards »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I first read the title of this book, I wrongly assumed the book to be about a typical girl enjoying her childhood. Little was I prepared for the life-changing lessons I learned. I was sat down and schooled by Kalayla, the 11-year-old star of this book. Such is the depth and intensity of Kalayla authored by Jeannie Nicholas.

The book begins quite mundanely as Maureen and her biracial daughter move into a predominantly white neighborhood. They settle in an apartment complex owned by Lena. Lena is an elderly lady who habitually dresses in black as she is still moaning about her disintegrated family, decades later. Kalayla is soon left to her own devices when her emotionally drained mother secures a demanding waitress job. When Kalayla's carefree attitude, including her foul mouth, catches the attention of their landlady, and as the three ladies get to know each other through their daily interactions, that is when the real lessons begin. Many cans of worms open, deeply seated family secrets are revealed, there are lots of sad and happy moments, mentorship and parenting issues are discussed, betrayals and denials by family members happen, and last but not least, I can only invite readers to find out if calm and tranquility eventually reigns.

This story is narrated from the perspective of the three main characters, with each character allocated subsequent chapters in the book. This arrangement turned out to be genius because I could intimately experience the world as seen by each of the characters individually. The style also allowed the author to grow each character's role independently, thus exploiting their potential fully. I also liked how relevant this book is to our society today. This author chose to tackle themes that transcend our racial, gender, sexuality, or even our locale limitations, thus creating a masterpiece with a special message for every individual.

I also found the concept of a true family, according to this author, outstanding. She implies that sharing blood ties alone does not necessarily define a family. We have to go the extra mile and share our successes, fears, and challenges so that we can understand what “to be in someone else's shoes” truly means. For me, the icing on the cake was the crowning themes of acceptance and forgiveness that this author explored. She actually outlined the true meaning of the catchy phrase, “We are only human.” These aspects of the book got me thinking about my handling of current relations and helped me learn some fundamental truths about my previously assumed good relationships.

There is nothing that I didn't like about this book. The characters are all very relatable, while the story itself is engaging and thought-provoking. Furthermore, it is noteworthy that this book was professionally edited, and I did not encounter any errors worth mentioning here. The only thing I found a bit odd was the level of maturity put into the voice of an eleven-year-old girl. Kalayla seemed to be way more mature for her age. Though I found this odd, I also understood that it was necessary considering the considerable burden placed on this character's role.

Finally, I feel justified to award this remarkable book four out of four stars. Every aspect of this book qualifies for this high rating, and I would be cruel to grant any other rating. For the audience, I would recommend the book to everyone, from teenagers upwards. This is irrespective of the numerous mundane curse words and some moderate sexual scenes that I consider very subtle to be harmful. Specifically, I will encourage mothers to read this fantastic book.

Kalayla
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:character-bart:
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

French novelist Marcel Proust.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Kalayla was one of my favorite reads. Thanks for a lovely review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
J Edwards

Post by J Edwards »

Niens Now wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 14:44 Kalayla was one of my favorite reads. Thanks for a lovely review.
From the look of things, this book can easily end up being one of my favorite books also. Thanks for the positive comment and welcome.
“We don’t receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.”

Prarthna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarthna.html
Latest Review: The Farmer by Sam Braidwood

Post by Prarthna »

I have recently read this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the author has done a great job in tackling so many relevant issues. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

Nothing to dislike about it. With a perfect rating, I also read kalayla and found it interesting. Thanks for this review.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I also read kalayla and found it interesting.
Kalayla herself, to be honest, was hard to like as seemed a lot older, especially with her foul mouth, rudeness and her bitterness.
Overall the author did a wonderful job.
Thanks for the lovely review
:techie-reference:
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I think it’s great that the story is told from the perspective of ladies from three generations. Thanks for the good review.
J Edwards

Post by J Edwards »

zainherb wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 08:50 I also read kalayla and found it interesting.
Kalayla herself, to be honest, was hard to like as seemed a lot older, especially with her foul mouth, rudeness and her bitterness.
Overall the author did a wonderful job.
Thanks for the lovely review
True, Kalayla was a very difficult child, though very mature for her age. Thanks for stopping by.

J Edwards

Post by J Edwards »

markodim721 wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 11:24 I think it’s great that the story is told from the perspective of ladies from three generations. Thanks for the good review.
Yeah, the book is mainly about the lives of the three ladies. Try and read the book, I am sure you will enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by.

J Edwards

Post by J Edwards »

Ethan Howe wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 01:39 Nothing to dislike about it. With a perfect rating, I also read kalayla and found it interesting. Thanks for this review.
It is a great book. It also appears to be a very popular book among reviewers. Thanks for your comment.

J Edwards

Post by J Edwards »

Prarthna wrote: 27 Oct 2021, 00:06 I have recently read this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think the author has done a great job in tackling so many relevant issues. Thanks for the wonderful review.
This book is quite popular among reviewers, I guess it is because it is a great read. I am glad you also enjoyed it. Thanks for stopping by.

Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for your interesting review. Bloodlines are not what binds us together; it's love that counts.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Reviewed this book sometimes back. I also enjoyed reading it especially the character Kalayla. I am glad you enjoyed it too. Thanks for this good review
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
J Edwards

Post by J Edwards »

Sou Hi wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 03:54 Thanks for your interesting review. Bloodlines are not what binds us together; it's love that counts.
Very true. This book is all about shared love. Thanks for stopping by.

Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I recently read this book and I can say I thourally enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for the reveiw
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”