Review of Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Guda Lydia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guda-lydia.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech

Post by Guda Lydia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech" by Marcel Sahade.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Robert sat devastated and angry, staring at Kathleen, the woman he was to marry in a day. Hidden behind the bushes, he could see her happy and kissing another man. They seemed to be enjoying their picnic. A dark thought instantly came to mind, and Robert saw no other option but to act on it. As life was slowly draining out of him, his phone rang. In a delirious state, he answered, it was Kathleen, informing him of a tragedy. Her twin sister and husband, who had flown in for their wedding, were just murdered in the park.

As Pedro sat in his leaking and damaged raft, his father's last words rang in his mind. Next to him lay a silver casket, which he had never opened. His father made him promise never to open it unless it was a last resort. His curiosity nearly drove him mad, and in a desperate move, he manufactured a dangerous situation and now had a perfect reason to open the casket. As he was finally about to open it and discover its contents, he had the unmistakable sound. About a nautical mile away was a passing freighter, ready to rescue him.

Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech is a collection of these and more short stories that initially seem unrelated but begin to morph into one narration as the book concludes.

Each story takes the reader through different scenes and settings, from extraordinary scientific advancements to borderline supernatural human feats. All these are in vivid and detailed descriptions that allow clear visualization. The introductions and flow of each story are impeccable, and each ends with irony and suspense, creating a captivating atmosphere. Each character is unique and memorable, and the author brings out their physical and personality traits.

My favorite aspect of the read is the format of the short stories. Each has a subtle clue that lets the reader deduce a connection. Additionally, as the book progresses, a theme emerges, and a dodgy pharmaceutical company becomes the common factor. I equally love the sarcasm and twists that characterize each story, which kept me guessing the direction and reason behind each tale.

There is nothing to dislike about the book; it additionally lacks grammatical errors, a testament to its exceptional editing. The language used is intelligible and free of any profanities or overly sensitive scenes. Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech by Marcel Sahade is an out-of-the-box fictional tale that borrows from the ills of our current world. It questions the meaning of humanity when it comes to economic gain or personal development. For instance, between cancer treatments and a cure for cancer, which is more profitable? And, which is more humane? I recommend this intriguing read to anyone looking for a story with a philosophical angle and a captivating depiction of true human nature. It also ends with an inviting hint at a sequel. I gladly give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars.

Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”