Review of Luray

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raj_nandani_poet
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raj-nandani-poet.html
Latest Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Review of Luray

Post by raj_nandani_poet »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Luray" by Dennis Haupt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Luray by Dennis Haupt is a science fiction book. It is the story of a world far more advanced than us. It is the story of humans who have begun settling on a different planet and building colonies on inhabitable places. In the course of settlement, there is an attack from one of the many species in the universe. Despite seeming very primitive, they pose a threat to the colony as well as the planet earth. Luray, the protagonist, is sent by her boss to determine the threat posed by the alien species. Luray begins her investigation and is aghast to find the results. She is sure that someone is feeding information to the aliens, and shares this information with his temporary companion Kailoon. Both of them devise a plan to warn the people on earth if they fail in combat. What unfurls after that is complete chaos, confusion, and lots of manipulation and somehow Luray finds herself captured by the aliens.

The writing style is continuous and captivating. I found myself submerged in the story as if surrounded by the scenario itself. The intense fight scenes and the descriptions of the surrounding gave me goosebumps. The style is a mixture of science fiction and thriller in perfect balance. I found myself contemplating the next move, completely intrigued by the story. The cover is interesting and marvelous and so are the characters in the book.

I liked most the amazing plotline of the book. Despite being a story about the other world and aliens, I found it all believable and really interesting to read. It was a very nice read and a brilliant piece of science fiction.

I liked least the cliffhanger! I wish the author had tried to wrap the story or at least provided an ambiguous ending. The story ends abruptly while the characters were in action. This left me wondering whether I missed some pages or my device is malfunctioning.

I will give this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is because I really liked this book. It contains all the elements of good science fiction in balanced proportion. I enjoyed reading it and the detailed descriptions made the experience vivid. The story was nicely paced and I never felt bored by this. I would love to read the sequel of this book.

Overall, I will highly recommend this book to anyone who loves to read good science fiction. The characters are well-developed and there is a huge scope for further enhancement in the story. I will also recommend this book if you like reading thrillers or mysteries.

Luray
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”